Kanetomo star stamped

Anfoz

Hi, firstly I will apologise for the poor photos, they have been screen shot from an internet site. I had a look at this sword the other day but wasn’t able to take my own photos. I was told this Star stamped blade was made by Kanetomo and in pat 44 mounts. There seems to be a strange marking/scratching above the date mei ?? Not sure what or why it’s there but looks out of place. ( I have it circled in photos )
can anyone confirm that this is Kanetomo and what the date is? Also it looks like the handle has been re wrapped not 100% sure. Overall with my limited experience it was to me a nice blade. Any help would be greatly appreciated and once again sorry for terrible photos. 

407D30FE-3134-4597-A9D2-4557DCC055C3.jpeg

0ABB9BA0-737E-43E6-884C-5D501726A221.jpeg

AFED0702-FE8D-4876-864D-09FB679FBACA.jpeg

85CB2665-DA57-452D-9D98-C37DF15C0228.jpeg

01F86D47-FA8F-49BF-9D71-1E30996030DF.jpeg

9690946E-287D-4773-ADAC-CB6D2ABE46E3.jpeg

611363E0-07C4-4FB4-AC9B-7EFEF6B76580.jpeg

4550C753-56B4-4AA1-908D-E424A2777512.jpeg

F642506A-FFBC-4173-9D8C-E06BEC8C8676.jpeg

E2AA629E-8572-4A63-A4DA-8DD865A0826B.jpeg

Andy,

@SteveM might correct me on this, but I'd say that's "Seki Masatomo".  There is a Hiramatsu Masatomo listed on the RJT list, but no Kanetomo.  I haven't been able to pin down a prefecture for Masatomo.  @george trotter - have I asked you yet?  This blade would put him in the Seki area, with likely would mean Gifu, right?

Sorry, Andy, I got to chasing rabbits there!  Your date is 1945, with a HORRIBLY inscribed "Sho" "Wa" before the numbers.  I've seen some bad calligraphy on blades before, but this one takes the cake, as they say.

It's also a bit unusual to see an RJT blade in "standard" Rinjiseishiki saya.  I have seen it, but it's not common.  They are usually in upgraded fittings.  This being a 1945 date, though, may explain it.  We had almost completely shut down sword production in mainland Japan in the last year of the war, due to bombing.  There might not have been a whole bunch of custom fittings shops to choose from at the point this gunto was assembled.

• Like 3

Andy,,

Very late blade, which coudl explain the pretty rough finish for a star stamped gendaito.

I don't see any photos that show the complete mei: one shows the top Seki ju and the other the bottom, tomo saku, without any showing the kanji in the middle which is the first kanji in the maker's name.

Can you post better photos showing entire mei (signature) and of the other side (date)?

Thank you

• Thanks 1

Yes I would like to have a better photo of the whole mei too. I was looking around for an example of a Hiramatsu Masatomo mei on the internet, but couldn't find anything. If this is Masatomo, it will be nice to have a good picture of the mei. 

I do agree that it is a horribly executed 昭 for Shōwa. Was it an attempt at an obscure variation?Or, did it look better at one point, but became somehow scratched and garbled? Anyway, no doubt it is intended to be the "Shō" for Shōwa.

• Like 1

Wrap looks new. Along with the weird arsenal stamp, there is a possibility of a fake star stamp. I think this was restored and put together. Still...the blade looks good and is genuine. You'd need to examine it carefully to see if Gendaito or not.

Thanks for all the replies it was very helpful. unfortunately I cannot get any better photos as the sword is not in my hands. I was thinking of making an offer to buy, however I may hold off in search of something a little better. I did like the blade but the Mei is messy and didn’t like the new wrap on handle. I’m in no hurry so will keep looking and pestering you all for info on future swords. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Anfoz said:

Thanks for all the replies it was very helpful. unfortunately I cannot get any better photos as the sword is not in my hands. I was thinking of making an offer to buy, however I may hold off in search of something a little better. I did like the blade but the Mei is messy and didn’t like the new wrap on handle. I’m in no hurry so will keep looking and pestering you all for info on future swords. 

The wrap is an amateur job done post war. I have only seen 1 star stamped blade in these mounts but late war anything is possible. Blade looks forged- I think it is a genuine, late, star stamped blade.

On 11/14/2021 at 9:54 PM, Bruce Pennington said:

Andy,

@SteveM might correct me on this, but I'd say that's "Seki Masatomo".  There is a Hiramatsu Masatomo listed on the RJT list, but no Kanetomo.  I haven't been able to pin down a prefecture for Masatomo.  @george trotter - have I asked you yet?  This blade would put him in the Seki area, with likely would mean Gifu, right?

Sorry, Andy, I got to chasing rabbits there!  Your date is 1945, with a HORRIBLY inscribed "Sho" "Wa" before the numbers.  I've seen some bad calligraphy on blades before, but this one takes the cake, as they say.

It's also a bit unusual to see an RJT blade in "standard" Rinjiseishiki saya.  I have seen it, but it's not common.  They are usually in upgraded fittings.  This being a 1945 date, though, may explain it.  We had almost completely shut down sword production in mainland Japan in the last year of the war, due to bombing.  There might not have been a whole bunch of custom fittings shops to choose from at the point this gunto was assembled.

HI Bruce,

I don't think so, but I'll try to help.

First...I think we need to see an overall pic of the swordsmith name inscription as I can't be sure what the second kanji says...looks like it might be JU....if so, we have a problem as the 2 signature pics would show SEKI JU ---- TOMO SAKU. No pic given of first mei kanji?

I don't think we can progress if we don't have the first mei kanji properly identified (there are 2 Kanetomo Seki smiths.. Kiribuchi Kanetomo (def not him) and a MIWA Kanetomo who was a Seki RJT ....might be him. Not sure if there is a Masatomo smith.

So better pics and complete pics please?

On the questions raised about the steel scabbard Rinji mounts...I think these are 'normal' 2 button issue for Seki RJT blades....It has a dust cover seppa, so probably has 2 buttons...normal...my 2M rated Seki Kanehide RJT blade is in one of these mounts, so no worries there.

Just the mei pics needed...

Regards,

Ah, that's better Andy,

Yes that is Kanetomo (must say his handwriting is very 'Seki' in style).

So, going by quality and 'handwriting style' we can rule out Kiribuchi Kanemoto, so that leaves only? MIWA (SHIZUO) KANETOMO.

Jinsoo Kim records show he started as a Seki swordsmith on Showa 14.10.20 (20th Oct. 1939).

Nihonto Meikan Homma/Ishii 1975 p.160 lists him as MIWA Shizuo of Seki town. In Showa 18 (1943) he was 28 years old. He became RJT.

He is classed as a Showa Smith, Gifu, Army swordsmith.

Not much info I know, but about all I can find. My more modern books don't show him working after the war.

Regards,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gosh Mal,

How lucky are the 'newbies' in WWII collecting compared to "our day"!!!

While folk like me and other old fogies have contributed snippets of well researched info from time to time over the years, we now have you and Sueko-sama.

Your gathering and presentation of this info is unsurpassed!

If only you/Sueko, Nick Komiya and a few others could get together and write a book we would have the "Dictionary of WWII Gendai Smiths - Seki smiths - RJT - mountings etc'...the works!

Wish I was 21 again...I'd like to live long enough to read it!

Thanks to you all,

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..