Please help identify a Tanto

….ok, let’s continue.

The date is “文久二戌年八月日” (August 1862, year of the dog).

So you may have an nicely Aikuchi mounted Tanto from the renowned Gassan school. Now I leave it to the sword connoisseurs here to judge wether the signature is legit or not. 

Forgot to mention….the mon is called “Hanabishi”. Unfortunately almost impossible to pin down a certain family without additional info (or it’s simply meant as an adornment?!).

I dont think this is a legit signature. The placement of the signature the finish of the nakago and the signature itself dont match with what i have seen but im no expert.

From the blade i would not say it cant be made by sadakazu after he was known for his ability to make blades in every style but with this signature it is very unlikely.

http://www.nihontocraft.com/Gasan_Sadakazu_Tanto.htm

only 4 years later then your example

http://www.sanmei.com/Pictures/Sword/T302101_T8620_PUP1.jpg

In my Opinion your Tanto seems to be older.

It's a nice blade in aikuchi mounts,Tatyana, and worthy to be enjoyed.  The hada, or grain of the steel, is attractive, the tanto is in a good state of polish and has some Gassan features.  If this is your first sword, it is an excellent study piece.   Hopefully it didn't cost you too much and when your studies are completed with the tanto, you can get your investment out and find the next piece to enjoy.  Welcome to NMB! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..