Comparision between a Hoan tsuba and a similar one.

BjornLundin

Hi, so previously I asked for advice on fittings for this Hoan tsuba. During this time I noticed a similar tsuba on sale without the gold and silver inlays. Now I have got it home and I have compared it a bit to the Hoan tsuba. They are very similar in design and dimensions. The Hoan tsuba is a little thicker. They differ also in how the iron looks but its second tsuba looks to have some sort of surface treatment.

What do you all think? Both Hoan? Age? Is one older than the other? What is the coating? Any additional question or photos that is required. Does the iron tell anything, what do look for. Or just a general comment :)

image.thumb.png.3ed13fd26c7db3c12ff8d50244ee0cf7.png image.thumb.png.e56b82739888b9c03ad3035bf21de8ca.pngimage.thumb.png.7e841c4491875fbd60fd7056a66e5245.pngimage.png.96ef1c83ecd661dec9732cfe11e2f9f6.png

Best Björn

Hi Björn,

i'd like to leave the question aside if these are indeed HOAN TSUBA (no plural in Japanese nouns!). Genuine HOAN TSUBA (OWARI province) are thought to be made around 1500 to 1600.

The sizes seem to fit a WAKIZASHI more than a KATANA. Both TSUBA could be from the same school or maker, but as I think that they are made later in the EDO period, there is also the possibility that their form was "en vogue" at the time and other schools or individual makers took up the design - a very common practice!

As far as the surface is concerned, there are many influencing factors besides the manufacture. TSUBA were made with MIGAKI-JI finish (polished) and many other surface treatments. A patination process was always added for aesthetic and corrosion protection purposes. The age and related corrosion may have changed the feel and looks of the surface, but also different care and storage conditions. Early TSUBA often had a lacquer (URUSHI) finish which protected them from corrosion for a long time. Some collectors used wax for protection which can result in a glossy look. I have seen TSUBA that were coated with clear lacquer in later years.

Having that said, I would not venture a guess about the age other than mid to late EDO JIDAI for both. One has to see the TSUBA in hand to compare finer traces of tools and processes. With pictures alone it is very difficult, at least for me!

By the way, I like this type of TSUBA a lot, and especially the one without inlays!

P.S. Please try to show/display the TSUBA always with the 'cutting edge' up!

3 hours ago, BjornLundin said:

..... I almost think the "corrosion" is intentional. 

That may well be if it were indeed corrosion. It could also be an intentional surface structure, called ISHIME-JI (= looking like stone). The 'devil horns' you see might be the rolled-in tips of symbolized bracken shoots. 

The shape of this TSUBA could probably be described as HACHI MOKKO GATA. 

• Like 1

The design looks to be popular in more than one style. I found this Heianjo  up for auction  https://www.jauce.com/auction/e1011548147

The embellishments are totally different but the design is very close.

Björndid you get your first piece through Bonhams auctions?  https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26087/lot/1145/?category=list

image.thumb.png.867cd3d850d3c4a4d768641b8dee47e2.png

Bonhams image. Omote side only.

image.png.75fac3efa42f097dcd08301fb73fc0af.png

Edited by Spartancrest
better look
  • Like 2

Björn I just came upon this old Christies auction from 2017. Not a lot of information on it sorry. You might notice the surface texture is very similar to one of yours [sorry the image was as good as I could get]

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/art-Japan-online/collection-twenty-four-tsuba-48/40285

eight lobes.jpg

18 hours ago, Spartancrest said:

Jean, aren't the clipped ends of the curls odd on that one you posted? I

Yes Dale,

I think so, too! But I explained it to myself as a means to prevent injuries.

3 hours ago, BjornLundin said:

Found one in my screen shot archive from http://www.shibuiswords.com/

Björn,

another nice one! I wished I could buy one like that!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..