Cleaning Koshirae?

Spunjer

Hello all,

I just purchased my very first katana this past weekend. That only thing is, it looks like a piece of paper was taped  around the mid part of the koshirae so there's a very slight discoloration. I tried cleaning it with warm water and soap, and it cleaned it some.

My question is, is it safe to apply Renaissance Wax on the koshirae?

Thanks in advance

Renaissance wax won’t hurt it but you may want to try further cleaning. Micromark makes 12,000 grit cloth paper and there is a polishing compound that is finer (but I’ll have to look it up as I’m busy right now- tomorrow).

• Thanks 1

Hi Ron,

I think you would be smart to leave the saya be until you can show it to someone with loads of experience at lacquer restoration. Any attempt you make may be successful but, starting from zero experience as you are, it may also be a mistake you don't recognize until it is too late.

I have long thought that some of us here on NMB are way too quick to suggest do-it-yourself repairs to beginning collectors. Restoration advice without having seen even one picture of the problem is a mistake.

No offense meant towards Darrel; just looking out for the swords.

Grey

• Like 4

The product I couldn’t remember is Sanjet P-636 and it’s sold by Watanbe Shoten for less than $20. My thought was that the condition you described was oxidized urushi but I t’s still not clear to me what caused the discoloration on your saya. Sanjet is like an car polish in that it is a very fine abrasive that won’t scratch and you can control with fingertip pressure. It leaves a mirror finish. So you could work around the edges or in a less noticeable area. A tube will last a lifetime of restoring a fine finish on saya. The people who make urushi fountain pens use it. Just an idea. Cheers!

Hi Ron,

This looks like it could be residue from the glue that held the label. I have used a liquid called Goo Gone, which I bought at a local hardware store. I used it first on a painted door with cellophane tape residue and there was no damage to the paint. I then tried it on a lacquer saya with glue or adhesive residue; the residue disappeared and there was no damage done. I would try it on just a tiny section 1st to see what happens. If it works you'll have to clean of the Goo Gone with a damp rag.

Best of luck, Grey

• Like 1

Am I wrong in thinking that it looks like someone removed something from the koshirae that was supposed to be there? I can’t imagine any other reason that the koshirae would be submitted for  shinsa with a random piece of paper wrapped around it…

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ckaiserca said:

Am I wrong in thinking that it looks like someone removed something from the koshirae that was supposed to be there? I can’t imagine any other reason that the koshirae would be submitted for  shinsa with a random piece of paper wrapped around it…

I'm not too keen with Nihonto yet, but do you think it was fine sort of decoration?

13 hours ago, Grey Doffin said:

Hi Ron,

This looks like it could be residue from the glue that held the label. I have used a liquid called Goo Gone, which I bought at a local hardware store. I used it first on a painted door with cellophane tape residue and there was no damage to the paint. I then tried it on a lacquer saya with glue or adhesive residue; the residue disappeared and there was no damage done. I would try it on just a tiny section 1st to see what happens. If it works you'll have to clean of the Goo Gone with a damp rag.

Best of luck, Grey

I will try this later, Grey, thank you!

Like Grey just suggested, I have also used Goo Gone to get some antique adhesive residue off a lacquered koshirae. It worked well and had no impact on the lacquer at all.

I made sure to test it first, in a tiny spot in the slot for the kozuka, which I would also highly recommend doing before using any substances (other than a damp cloth) on your antique lacquer.

Lacquer is pretty darn tough, but the last  thing you want to do is discolor your already discolored areas, or worse still, make the discolored areas even larger.

Best of luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..