Attribution from NHTK paper

FZ1

Thanks Mark. I do use a couple of guides on how to interpret the various papers, and use them frequently.  I have sussed-out most of the useful bits of the certificate already (length, date, etc), hence not wanting to waste people's time by asking for more translation than I need, i.e. just posting the inscription column from the paper that I can't suss-out.

I don't do too badly when the writing is clear (like the one you put up in your post), but I struggle with reading the characters when they are blurred (like the image provided in my post). I just can't match them with a reference list of printed characters.  I also use the "Translating Mei" links that Brian put on the right-hand side of the home-page, but sometimes I just can't match these-up either.

I always sucked at languages at and I'm  awful at reading people's handwriting in any language, hence having to do the Kanji  laboriously by matching one character at a time, be it from a nakago, hand-written or printed source.

I don't post here unless I'm stuck, so the foregoing lines are to attempt to reassure you that I'm not just lazy (well, not at this anyway - my Mrs might disagree with a more generalised application of the term to me! :laughing:)

However, you have saved me from some embarrassment because in reviewing my post, I posted the wrong images - the correct ones (the "inscription" and "judgements" column of the paper) are now edited into my original post. 

However, the "inscription" column matches exactly the characters from the inscription column of the one that you posted (ubu, mumei), so thanks for that!

So it's just the "judgement" I'm stuck on now - I've got as far as "Den" for the first character and I think it might be "Takada" for the last two? I have no idea what the second character is though.

Thanks,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FZ1 said:

I don't post here unless I'm stuck, so the foregoing lines are to attempt to reassure you that I'm not just lazy 

Oh no… I hope I didn’t give you the impression I thought you were lazy:o.  I just tried to give some info that would help with the ‘hunt’ which is what I enjoy too.  Although, being a beginner I get stuck quite often.  Which leads me to a request.  In your original picture of the nagasa information, there were a couple kanji I did not recognize. I believe the measurement started with 7 sun(?) and then a couple kanji I don’t recognize.  It may have been 11 and then something that followed???  Should have been bu or rin but it didn’t look familiar.  Could you please repost that pic and if you have translation, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

• Like 1

No worries Mark, "my "lazy" reference was intended as a light-hearted "self-deprecating" comment, not an accusation! :laughing:

I've attached an image of the whole paper so that you can have a look at it (its for a tanto in a UK-based auction).

Cheers,

Jon

EDIT: Length of blade is 27.6cm and I got as far as "Nagasa 9 Sun ? ? Length" (should be 1 bu?)

2.jpg

1.jpg

On 11/5/2021 at 4:11 PM, FZ1 said:

Could anyone possibly do-the-honours on these from an NHTK paper please?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Jon

EDITED: I put the wrong images up

ScreenHunter 225.jpg

Name.jpg

First one is Ubu, mumei. It’s easier when you see the context. :)

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..