Stolen sword alert: Type 94/98 Sue-Bizen Sukesada

Unfortunately this sword was likely stolen out of the box during shipping. There is a chance it fell out but I do not have high hopes. The sword is signed "Bizen kuni jū osafune sukesada-saku" & dated Daiei August 1526. Nagasa is roughly 25inches, OAL roughly 36-38 inches. Mounted in good early style mounts with pierced Tsuba & gloss saya. A distinct silver Kamon is on the Kabuotgane.

Please contact me if you see this sword listed or offered again.

s-l16007.thumb.jpg.1433c800f7b41719a9452ba50fda20e9.jpg

20211014_213442f.thumb.jpg.429c5ee4ac26556dc9e5ee0d1772bb6b.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.e72b7915630df1ed85093c75cd25a37b.jpgs-l16002.thumb.jpg.534b4ee3e46db30917f5a753de9f8ac4.jpgs-l16003.thumb.jpg.cc7c71744f0e8e57dfb46019066c2e5e.jpg20211014_213718.thumb.jpg.9a2aeb8ea7a919b1cc5dd2d4cb449251.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 3

Damn...This is precisely the reason I am reluctant to send any of my swords anywhere by mail. Therefore, in a sense crippling me in pursuit of improving my collection by polish, shinsa, etc. Insurance, ok fine, but does it truly compensate for loss.

Hopefully, as mentioned it somehow came out of packaging, (by looks of photo above) and is now in the possession of a Postal Supervisor waiting to be returned to rightful owner...

Hopefully turns out for the best,

Dave M.

Apple Air Tags. For the $30, activate and kling-wrap it to the tsuka or saya. Make the expense part of the deal. Won't solve all cases, but accidental losses should be minimized and theft....well maybe you get a ping when it's at his house.
I just ordered 2, and am going to make them part of any deal over a certain value.

• Like 1

John,

I mentioned your sword loss to my wife (30 yrs with USPS) and yes there are definitely thieves. However, is that your tape shown in the photo used to repair the box. She said that type tape would never be used by USPS for repair of a package. Identifying which postal service uses that particular type dark duct tape could at least narrow the search somewhat.

Again, good luck and hope it shows up,

Dave M.

Not to minimize the loss or make excuses for improper handling but don't you think a sturdier package was called for? This was shipped in a priority triangular tube made of standard strength cardboard, something I wouldn't trust for a sword across the state, let alone across an ocean. I always use stout cardboard tubes with secure plastic end caps for shipping my swords. Their being round means they are unlikely to have other packages stacked on top.

Grey

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Grey Doffin said:

This was shipped in a priority triangular tube made of standard strength cardboard,

Actually those triangle boxes are pretty rugged. Geometrically triangle is way stronger, then rectangular box. with proper padding they are pretty secure. But again - it is no packaging USPS  or UPS can't destroy... I had package once with clear truck track over it... Luckily inside cardboard box was a pelican case containing the actual dueling pistol...

• Like 1

So sorry to hear this and I hope you recover it.  I do have to echo what Grey said for any of you who might ship a sword.  I buy the heavy cardboard tubes with plastic ends.  They are incredibly strong - a full grown person could stand on them and they won't crush.  

Thanks for the kind words all, with regards to the packaging the black duct tape was used by the shipper. The sloppily applied clear tape was not, it is also my understanding that if customs opened a package they would use specific customs branded tape. The sword was not sent by a collector, I did my best to advise on some packing tips but next time I will insist on a mailing tube being used.

John, I am sure you are across the postal enquiry process but for what its worth I tend to use the 'shotgun' approach and have the sender as well as the receiver (you) lodge missing article forms with both USPS and Austpost.  Apologies if Ism stating the obvious.

Missing Mail and Lost Packages | USPS

Find a missing item - Australia Post (auspost.com.au)

Digressing, I remember I had a surf board stolen from my car roof in Sydney in the 1970's but I still reported it to police...18 months later there was a bust in a Sydney suburb and guess what, got a call from the local constabulary to come pick up my board...surprised!   The moral in that for me was to use every process at my disposal regardless of how futile it may seem at the time.

Will keep eyes out like everyone, good luck

Rob

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

So out of shear curiosity, if Australia post is offering full compensation, does that mean they are acknowledging that the sword actually arrived in Australia, then went missing after arrival, or are they simply honoring the insurance aspect of the shipping agreement?

Mark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..