Blades mounted in civilian gunto koshirae

Itomagoi

I only have 3 on file, 2 are Showa stamped and 1 is Large Seki stamped.  The Seki is Hiromitsu and the Showa are Kanemasa and a Kanezane.  Interestingly, the Kanezane has his hotstamp.  Some of these smiths, and I don't know if Kanezane is one them, didn't always put their hot stamp on every blade, and I've always wondered if there was a reason for that.  Were hot stamped blades gendaito, and blades without their stamp showato?  Or did the lack of stamp mean the blade was made by an apprentice, whereas stamped blades were made by the master?  Too many unknowns!!!

I just browsed the Bamboo Leaf pattern tsuba on Gunto with Old Blade thread, and Malcom, @Baka Gaijin, has heard "that a number of the elder generation of Japanese Martial Arts Shihan, who were conscripted into the Rikugun, in the very latter days of the conflict, took ancestral blades to their induction and training camps. "

It would be nice to see some examples.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..