Another vet estate sword found And this time bought HURRAH !

Hello Brian and others who helped me with Kuniyoshi Marine Raider bring home. Last week the owner was in the hospital and it looks like he is going to donate all of Col. Lamb's items to the museum in Quantico. I hope they display the items and some big shot doesn't wind up with the sword. This past Sun, at the Flea Market, a couple who had purchased a sword, etc. in Michigan from the son of a vet who died had the sword I need info on (they have promised to get more information for me). The vet named Shonts made friends with a Ogawa (possibly in the Philippines) and Shonts was trying to find a Japanese sword to bring home. Ogawa told him he had a blade and would make the tsuba, wooden storage case, etc. You will note the handle and iron tsuba have both their names on them.

The blade is 35 1/4" long and has a 7" blood groove on one side and two parallel incised lines 7 1/4" long on the other side. The temperline is visible in the sunlight and is narrow. The tang has 3 or 4 characters but only the first is easy to see. ( I've taken 5 photos in different light conditions to help you see them). The blade has rust and stains but not deep pits nor any splits or edge nicks. It has been carefully cleaned at sometime, but not abusively. I have photos of both sides of the blade, the point, the top ridge, tang, back end of tang, etc. 35 in all, but I will only upload one with this message and then 5 or so later as last night I tried to upload 6 with this message and site went down or ? and I lost everything. I hope pics are good enough so someone can make a probable maker, date and if I paid too much at $200.00 ( I did not want to let this one get away, so I got brave Ha HA.). Thanks and see my next post for some more photos. Richard the old retired guy in Florida

post-1066-14196757458953_thumb.jpg

The signature intrigues me. I had thought it looked like 'rai' and looking at the next 'naga' so maybe naminohira nagamitsu entered my mind. I just do not have faith in either esp. as how the kanji are formed and how they run away from line. I still would have someone qualified have a look. John

Jacques: Here is an overall shot. I can not remove the habaki it is rusted and frozen to blade. I tried soaking in WD40 and tapping but it started to dent the edge so I left alone. Also there is a possibility that the tang was broken near the middle hole and repaired a long long time ago.Richard

post-1066-14196757543137_thumb.jpg

Short-cut: The mei definitely reads: Rai KUNITSUGU and is gimei beyond doubt. Kanji-style is completely wrong and Rai KUNITSUGU always signed his (few surviving) tachi with smaller characters close to the mune. Therefore Rai-school is no option here. All that's left is a gimei-sword in poor condition.

reinhard

I agree with Reinhard. Signed Rai Kunitsugu, and wrong in a number of ways for that smith. Oddly enough, I had a sword in my shop last summer that could have been this sword's near twin. The placement of the mei, which was also Rai Kunitsugu, and the shape were very much alike. In hand it looked like some kind of late Senjuin blade, maybe Akasaka Senjuin.

post-44-14196757554245_thumb.jpg

STEVE: Thanks for taking the time, I will try your suggestions next time I try to photograph tang markings. Is it usual for a blade to have different kind of short grooves on each side of the blade? From what has been said the blade is approx 300 + years old. The maker's marks Kunitsugu or Kuniyuki are probably counterfeit, but old, and the blade is in poor condition. Is this as you understand the remarks to this posting? Of course the big question is can I get $350.00 + :thanks: for it? Thanks for your help. PS: I do not collect Japanese swords but sometimes get them that vets brought home. I collect older Marine Corp items, maybe I can trade it. Richard Marquette an old retired guy in Florida

Dear Richard,

East coast or west coast of Florida? We are in Sarasota.

I no longer collect blades and sold most of mine, but don't mind taking a look at a blade now and then.

I still have most of my Nihonto library and it would be nice to make use of it. There are so few collectors down here.

Curran

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..