Ezo Menuki awarded Tokubetsu Hozon. Very unusual theme.

Chishiki

2 hours ago, Brian said:

Getting papers to Ezo is quite something. Congrats!

Thanks Brian.  I believed they were Ezo when I sent them.   I was really worried they may get parked in ‘ko kinko’ or other generic group.  I also submitted another pair that also go Ezo but they were more classic.   Mark

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 10:57 AM, Bazza said:

Stunner Mark, stunner.  Congrats on the ranking. As Ian said, draw attention to the head of the animal - what does it mean??

BaZZa.

Hi Barry, thanks.   Yes it’s easy to assume they are outright shishi until you notice the human heads.   I have never seen another pair of menuki like them.   What it means?   No idea.   Apparently there was a folk tale in the 19thC of some kind of human heads on dogs but these are shishi and muromachi period.   Hope you are well and up to a visit one day soon.   Mark

• Like 2

These appear to be Kudan. Although traditionally a kudan is described as a human faced cow, they're considered auspicious creatures and they cannot tell a lie.

The kudan became very popular in folk mythology during the late 19th century but there are references to the creature going back as early as the Heian period. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Ford Hallam said:

These appear to be Kudan. Although traditionally a kudan is described as a human faced cow, they're considered auspicious creatures and they cannot tell a lie.

The kudan became very popular in folk mythology during the late 19th century but there are references to the creature going back as early as the Heian period. 

Hi Ford.

I have been able to find out there was Jinmenken and now kudan.   One a dog with human head and now a cow with human head, fascinating.   But what we are looking at here are shishi with human heads.   It may be the artist doing a one time special order, or way back there is a Japanese folklore or tale of this spirit.   All interesting and unusual.   Thanks Ford.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..