What Do you See In The Hamon and Hada

ChuckJ

HI Guys,

It was a sunny day and I decided to take a few pics with my iPhone of my favorite katana.  Pics are not to good but after cleaning and before oiling I decided to see what the bright sun would bring out.  Please don't beat me up on my not so great pics!   This katana has some very active features I hope you enjoy and comment on what you see going on in the blade.  I have studied the hamon and hada using the books I have and would be interested in finding out what I didn't see from my reference material. 

A side note the nagasa is 31".

I wish you all and your families well!!

Chuck

IMG_3610R.jpg

IMG_3602R.jpg

IMG_3603R.jpg

IMG_3604R.jpg

IMG_3607R.jpg

IMG_3608R.jpg

IMG_3611R.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Surfson said:

I see a fair bit of tobiyaki/hitatsura, some kinsuji, some gunome with long ashi, some yo.... What does the tang look like?  Also, is that rust in the shinogi ji or just some red clouds reflecting?

Surfson,  it is clouds and blue sky the spot is a reflection of tree branches/leaves changing colors I suppose as the blade is perfectly clear and the pics were taken under/ next to a Canadian maple tree.  The blade was finely polished by a well respected kind fellow in Hawaii a few years ago and is mirror like.  The nakago is signed by a Gendai who was awarded Mukansa in 2006 and former president or honorary president of the NBTHK.  The blade is around 1999 to 2003 can't find the info but he is in Fukuoka.

Chuck

16 minutes ago, DRDave said:

Your phone takes way better photos than mine.  I'll bet that blade has some heft.  Any idea what it weighs?

Hi Dr. Dave,

I don't have an accurate way to weigh the blade so I just took off the saya and put it on the bathroom scale (LOL) standing up and it came in at 3.5 pounds +or-.  A pic of the nakago.

IMG_3423R.jpg

On 11/4/2021 at 12:49 PM, Surfson said:

Was that polished by Brian Shimizu?

Hello Robert,  :)

Did you mean Byron Shimizu?

I don't know him personally, but, I do remember that name.

This is from Robert Benson's Website..

It is on Robert's "ABOUT US " page. 

http://www.bushidojapaneseswords.com/about-us.html

OTHER POLISHERS WHO HAVE STUDIED WITH US.

Byron Shimizu
  My first apprentice was Ralph Oquendo in the early 80's. While he was here  in Hawaii, he studied kendo where Byron Shimizu was also a kendo student. Byron Shimizu watched Ralph and I work for several years and in 1985 I agreed to take him on as an apprentice. Byron's ability increased to being confident in  handling of Juyo Token class. He distinguished himself by the mid-90's  of easily polishing blades that would be submitted for the Juyo Token shinsa.  For numerous years the three of us, Woodrow, Byron and myself  worked in the togi heya on the large togidai polishing. It was in this daily work schedule  that Woodrow advanced to being a far above average  polisher. His ability can be directly attributed to Byron Shimizu as the two would work side by side  for long hours and Byron would give him guidance. The two of them experimented with how to best use hatsuya, jitsuya and  different nugui on all periods and schools. I am confident in saying that these two have shown that they are well qualified in the true Honami style of polishing.
 Mike Christianson, John Brostowictz , Robert Tanner  are some of the other  devotees who have dedicated  the time to study the art of polishing. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..