Lacquered Wooden Japanese Buddhist Statue

Soshin

I came across this wooden Buddhist statue while at a local auction house was cleaning out their consignment shop in preparation for a move. The statue was inexpensive but very interesting and impressive.  It is a Japanese Buddhist statue of Tamonten (Snskrit: Vaisravana) the guardian of the north. He is the leader of the Four Heavenly Kings and is blessed with infinite knowledge. He is also known as a protector of warriors. Statue is made from a sold piece of very heavy hardwood. A previous owner dates the statue from the middle of the Edo Period circa 18th Century. I think is likely an example of primitive (folk) art of that period. The statue and wooden base measures 50 cm (20 inches) long by 15 cm (6.0 inches) wide. I am just wanting to share this new acquisition and get some advice on how best to display it in my home study. I was thinking a small table or stand would be good near a hanging scroll. Polite discuss and advice is always welcome. Thank you.   

DS15.1.jpg

DS15.2.jpg

A nice sized Bishamonten. As you say, it looks like a piece of folk art.

The flat back suggest that this statue orginally was housed in some sort of zushi.

Bishamonten is usually depicted either holding a small stick/club or a long spear. Depending on which, gives the statue different meanings.

I think you did well 🙂

Jan

• Like 1

Hello Piers D. and Jan,

Thanks for the replies.  Jan, unfortunately the right hand of the statue is damaged so it hard to tell if the statue was originally holding a stick/club or a long spear. I also agree it was once housed in zuchi given the flat profile of the back of the statue. Finding a nice antique wooden zuchi that fit the statue might be a good idea.     

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..