A Study: Minatogawa-to

@gun addict's thread Gimei Minatogawa generated some discussion, the outcome of which was the reminder that the best way to spot a counterfeit is to study the original.  With that in mind, I like to begin collecting, here, all the Minatogawa gunto, pictorially, we can find.  It would probably be useful to begin with a brief summary of what we know about the operation and the smiths involved.  There is already a few good facts on the thread Minatogawa Shrine Swords, posted by @Ed.  Dawson quotes Herman Wallinga in stating that there could have been no more than 3,900 of these made during the war.  On Ed's thread, @David Flynn and @vajo list the following 6 smiths (which aligns with Dawson's claim that there were 6 smiths):

Masatada; Masataka; Masaaki; Masanao, Masakiyo, and Michimasa

For those of us who don't have extensive reference material, maybe someone could give a brief executive summary about the operation, smiths, and/or gunto.  @IJASWORDS - want to volunteer?

After that, let's start posting those photos! (there is a really good one on Ed's thread that I will transfer over after we get the education established).

• Like 2

Bruce, nice idea. The Nihonto Message Board, Military section is turning into a pretty good reference site for WW2 swords. The work you guys have done on Mantetsu and Stamps for example, have added additional knowledge on the subjects. With your permission I will kick off the discussion with what I know, and what I have in my collection. 

Starting off with a 1944 MASANAO. But first a bit of background. 

In 1940, discussions were conducted between Senior Naval personal and Chief Priest Goto of the MINATOGAWA JINJA (shrine) with the objective of establishing the KIKUSUI TANTO KAI, (The Kikusui Sword Forging Association). The swords forged here would be presented to select Naval Officers. So in late 1940 a temporary forge was set up, then in late 1941 the forge was moved to the grounds of the Minatogawa Shrine in Kobe. These swords would be distributed by the Japanese Naval Academy.   

The art names of the swordsmiths were given the prefix MASA, this was bestowed on them in honor of MASAshige, a defeated commanding officer of Emperor Go-Daigo, who in 1336 committed seppuku. A shrine honoring Masashige was built in 1872, this is the Minatogawa Shrine. 

The Shrine was bombed and destroyed on March 17 1945. 

The sword smiths who produced swords at the shrine were ....

MASATADA

MASATAKA

MASAAKI

MASANAO

MASAYOSHI

MASAKIYO. 

The swords made here are true Nihonto. In general the swords are signed, MINATOGAWA JINJA MASA....

The Navy requested that the swords be made in the Ko-Bizen style, with suguha or ko-choji hamon. 

It is estimated that only about 3900 swords were ever made at Minatogawa, and many of these are at the bottom of the sea! Hence their rarity and collectability. 

So this is a MASANAO sword. Masanao's name was Okada Yoshiaki (1917-1972), the features of this sword are Nagasa 66.5 cm, sori 2.3 cm, in Itame hada and Gunome Choji Hamon.  The KIKUSUI Mon (chrysanthemum on water) is on the nakago and habaki. This is the symbol of the Japanese Navy of the time. 

I welcome any additional information, corrections and other examples.  

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

a8.jpg

• Like 11

4 hours ago, IJASWORDS said:

The Shrine was bombed and destroyed on March 17 1945. 

:o Did not know that!  What a shame.

Thanks for the history.  Also interesting that they were given just 2 hamon styles to choose from.  We'll see if the smiths stuck to that as examples show up!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
26 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Link

You'll find this one at the bottom of a looooong line of photos on this Chinese site ( compliments of @Kiipu and @BANGBANGSAN): Luoyangong.com page.  The first several photos are of a Star-stamped blade by the same smith, working the same forge.

Interesting, to me, that the smith Masanaga, was making blades for both the Minatogawa and RJT operations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Did a deep search to no avail for images of my old (Shischi sai hokoku, seven lives for my country) if i find it on Main PC ill share

I remember the discussion about that mei.  An interesting read on Kusunoki Masashige (楠木 正成, 1294 - July 4, 1336) and his legendary proclamation HERE.  It didn't dawn on me that this was the origin of the 7 Lives Dojo name, but I'm sure it is what their shop name was referencing, now that you've brought it up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..