No. 2. Fun auction to support the forum. Runs until 3 November.

Bugyotsuji

The running of the site is barely covered by the various membership schemes, apparently, meaning that there is very little spare cash going into the kitty. 

Round Two.

I would like to offer two WWII Japanese military talismanic personal *'flags' for sale, all proceeds to go to the NMB. 

*See following photos.

1. a somewhat rare 1,000 stitch obi offering protective powers to the wearer, to be carried folded or worn around the waist(?). 108 cm x 34 cm. Shrine seal in top left corner.

2. Flag, a red sun on a white background, with attaching strings. Black brushwork writing. 70 cm x 80 cm.

*Material. Both feel like cotton or hemp.

*Condition. Pretty good considering, no rips, tears or holes that I can see. Judge for yourself.

*Provenance. I bought these from a dealer couple from Shikoku at an antiques fair within the grounds of Ako Castle in October 2021. They brought them from Shikoku where they live, so I assume that they may have come home safely with the owner from the Second World War in Asia.

They are the third set of objects which have been guessed in the game series '20 Questions' in the members' section. Shall we give it a week? To the highest bidder by the end of 3 November 2021 midnight Japan time, (2 Nov US?) I will send this by ordinary small air package, postage free. How about a starting price of $5 US?

The top bidder will give me a contact address, and will send his/her money directly to the NMB site, and once confirmed by Brian, I will send both of the above/below articles directly to the generous winner.

If no-one bids, I will send Brian $X and very happily keep them here! :laughing:

3DE2B381-F7A9-4E92-B950-6EC5E1D88331.thumb.jpeg.b99096c50b9245c5aab551a25358b5b8.jpeg

A9C34C02-93F2-4E4F-AC1B-D1073758ED82.thumb.jpeg.20056a70850589c6c2adca007e962101.jpeg

• Like 3

You guys rock, I really appreciate the support. And these are lovely items too! 1000 Stitch belts can fetch double this without the flag, so a great addition to any collection.
Here's a nice article: http://www.nambuworld.com/senninbari.htm

This one is on the very high side: https://premierrelics.com/japanese-field-gear/japanese-wwii-senninbari-1000-stitch-belt

• Wow 1

Coming up to midday here on the 2nd of November, so 36 hours, or a day and a half left before Japan hits midnight on 3 November.

NB In case people wonder why I am doing this, I may have mentioned before that Brian has cut me some serious slack in the past. I do not have a lot of spare cash and my PayPal is broken anyway, so it seemed like another fun way to repay his kindness and support the NMB. :thumbsup:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Auction ended. Many thanks, Ken. 

Please send your kind donation to the NMB, and let me have your address, by PM if you like. Once payment is confirmed I will wrap these and send them to you. At present the mail is working fairly reliably and it should reach you in a week to ten days.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..