Australian Shinsa

Tried a few years ago and basically got cickets!!!

For last and final time I wish to ask all the Australian members how many pieces  they would have to present for papering by the NTHK  in say in 2023?

Last time  I asked got 30 pieces and 10 of those were mine! 

Surely we as a collective  can do this! I have 12 items I wish to present but its not just the shinsa- the gathering- the meeting of fellow collectors- the sharing- the visual of other collectors treasures- what is not to like- in any city- I'd  kill to go to USA for a shinsa! Shinsa team is in if we have the numbers.  

Ok. So here it is - I have tried before and Im advised by a fellow collector that 300 items is too big? Ive got 12 items now. Stand up and be counted Australia!

Hoping for a major response from the collecting community!

Regards Michael

ps. Wont try again!!!!!

Hi guys,

Melbourne may not be the venue!

Hi Dave, have done the talks with Adrian before- aware of his losses- but  that aside give me numbers- 300 needed! Are we prepared to be a backwater! Im asking Australian collectors to stand up and be counted! So many other countries would be so excited to have an International gathering of collectors in ther country! Man up!!!

The 300 pieces includes, Tosugo.   I believe 300 is obtainable.  Three of the biggest problems are,  First, a suitable venue and secondly, if having a Show with it, having enough people/dealers wanting tables.   Thirdly, contacting all  the collectors. One of the problems I raised with Adrian was, Advertising.   Adrian was against advertising and I believed there should have been.    So, as well as guaranteeing the 300 pieces, there's the other costs.

Hi Dave, really appreciate your input and agree advertising and all that goes with that - regardless of where in Aus it is is impotant. Really just need to know numbers! We can bounce around all the pros and cons- Melb/ sydney/ perth etc etc. Numbers - please just liok at your collections and make a decision if you want them to go to shinsa! Its in your own country abd its done while you are there- no waiting  for 3 months or relying on an agent - what is not to like! Numbers numbers numbers! 

Hi Mike,

I have about 10 items I could submit. A couple would depend on where in the country the shinsa is as they are long in length eg a yari and naginata. Thanks for the thought, it would be nice to have another shinsa I missed out on the first two.

John C.

Hi Dave, yes was aware you were a big part of the other two shinsa. I 've communicated with Adrian regarding cost - profit and loss and he did offer to help at that time. Not sure if his circumstances have changed but I will be contacting him if this can get some legs! 

Also your notion that not many Aust on the board is concerning- why are  they missing out on this great forum? It will need a lot of advertising thats why 2023. Also the 300 submissions - that does include fittings of course -do you know? I really do think it is a possibility- can always go to San Francisco I suppose but hope it doesnt come to that. Many thanks for your input and chat soon.

Hello NZ,

I rememver meeting a couple of collectors who had made the trip across the ditch! Would really be interested to hear from any NZ collectors who would be interested in coming to another Aus shinsa? Even a contact for some advertising if you have a collectors group/network? Time for another Southern hemisphere Shinsa!

Cheers

Hi Dave, very aware that numbers first wont work but chicken and the egg- NTHK require 300- if we cant get some form of commitment to get close then we just fold and travel overseas! Need numbers to progress- dates etc will  happen if they know we have numbers- they 're  not interested unless we have required numbers. No one wants to pay the excess if only 200 submit!

Hi John, Im sure a mail in service could be arranged if you require. Hope you can be apart of it mate.

Lets keep our fingers crossed!- not just for the shinsa but for camaraderie, buy and sell and of course Nihonto education - I need as much as I can get!!!Any more in Aus interested?

They don't actually need 300, that's just the minimum amount of money they want.   You don't have to guarantee the 300, just guarantee the money.

When we held the first Shinsa, we were told 200.   As the first day approached, we didn't have the 200.   However, we had heaps of walk ins and they put us over.  It's funny, although we did the mail out,  so many more turned up due to word of mouth.    One the problems I believe should have occurred is, advertising.  For reasons I couldn't comprehend,  Adrian didn't want any advertising.   Now, we have FB, Twitter, the NMB etc. I also believe other forms of advertising is needed as well.

• Like 1

Why not try one of those Kickstarter etc group fundraisers, with each contribution being the price of one slot, and using one of the "all or nothing" style fundraisers?
In other words, no-one gets charged if you don't get the minimum amount raised. Just a thought.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Thomas, 

I initially  contacted Gordon from the NTHK but this time Im basically surveying if there is the interest to try again.

Hi Brian, yes a kickstarter or similar would be away to go- but I still think there has to be a greater demand than say 40 submissions I know about already.

Time will tell! Cheers

Hi all and thanks for your responses. I am looking into tracking down the shinsa listings from previous years. Maybe with these we

can generate enough interest to proceed but I have to say that at present assuming we had a 50/50 pass rate we have 20% of the required DEPOSIT. I must admit I am extremely surprised at the limited numbers of Aussie on the NMB. There maybe an alternative we can work on but lots of buts! Stay tuned!

Sorry guys and gals this is going to be a wait and see.

Many thanks once again to all who have responded.

Regards 

Mike - the 200 item limit is just what it takes to break-even (here in the U.S.) - you wouldn't have to guarantee that number but it would go a long way to convincing the team it is worthwhile - it is extremely hard to get folks to commit early, we always had walk-ins and late adds, these play havoc with the schedulling but in the end are welcome as they always put us over the top.

-t

I will be talking to Professor Robson  this weekend and will see what he is thinking...

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..