Soshu Ju Tsunahiro

Nicholas

Personal take: If its NTHK, Godai = "later generation" rather than fifth generation. For Tsunahiro fifth generation I think they put his exact title in the papers. They still tend to put an approximate timeframe in the papers as well and from this one can deduce what the likely generation is. This is done to an extent to avoid being involved in controversies like when is the separation between Nobukuni's 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation  - you just paper it to Nobukuni and a certain era, and the same for Muromachi Nobukuni - you say later generation Nobukuni and the likely era.

43 minutes ago, Rivkin said:

Personal take: If its NTHK, Godai = "later generation" rather than fifth generation. For Tsunahiro fifth generation I think they put his exact title in the papers. They still tend to put an approximate timeframe in the papers as well and from this one can deduce what the likely generation is. This is done to an extent to avoid being involved in controversies like when is the separation between Nobukuni's 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation  - you just paper it to Nobukuni and a certain era, and the same for Muromachi Nobukuni - you say later generation Nobukuni and the likely era.

I’ll add a pic of the NTHK papers. 

10 hours ago, Geraint said:

Dear Nick.

I can't add to your attribution to a generation but the older NTHK papers have a yusaku stamp which seems to have the double border, this means a rating of 70 - 74 points.

Apologies if you knew that already.

All the best.

I’m pretty new to Japanese swords. I’m 35 and just started collecting about a year ago. A lot of this information is new to me. I appreciate everyone’s help. I own a few swords. But there’s so much information I don’t know where to start really.

Ah!  OK.  In that case you have done well in buying a papered sword as a first piece. It will lead you down a research route.  As you investigate Soshu swords you will start to realise that swords have characteristics associated with the region of production, the school of swordsmiths and the time of their making. 

Origami or papers are issued by a number of groups who authenticate swords based on a great deal of knowledge.  There are several types of origami and their credibility depends on who is in the group.  Usually NBTHK are the go to standard but NTHK are well regarded.  The papers your sword has are from an earlier time when the head of the NTHK was well known and respected.  

So much to learn and so much to enjoy on your journey, take it slow and feel free to ask questions.  There is a wealth of expertise and study here to help you.

All the best.

• Like 1

Thank you. Any good books to start with? I have the book “the samurai sword handbook” also the Compton collection, and 2 of the older Hawleys books on sword smiths and a book on tangs and signatures. But I’m really looking for a book that puts everything into perspective as far as dating swords and identifying swords. Basically being able to tell what’s what from looking at a blade.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..