Gimei Minatogawa

gun addict

His pics over there are better.  I'm no mei expert, but I thought the mei was poorly cut, but then I've pooh pooh'ed poor mei before that turned out to be legit.  The kikusui looks brand new, but then I think it was just cleaned by who ever did the polish.  The date shows better over there too, and is corroded but could be Showa 11, 1936.  Was the Shrine producing blades in '36?

E32EBB90-6F47-42FF-B88C-40EC4599D389.jpeg

5AB61CF3-F277-433D-A6D5-6C637BAA09C0.jpeg

LINK TO OTHER THREAD

Well if Vajo has given us a valid example there are worlds of difference here - number one the finish of the nakago - kesho yasuri plus deeply cut sujikai versus kiri - the "hand" in Vajo's sample is simple wonderful, deep and flowing versus a rather clunky look to the makers name especially - the tsuki-hi looks almost sosho but that could be because the faker doesnt have to copy characters he writes everyday...

The sword did sell so, good on him.

-t

Like all that swords there is a wide range of posibilities. Minatogawa swords are more rare than yasukuni-to. Many of that sword lay somewehre in the pacific. So it is not easy to compare that swords against each others. I'm honest - i didn't know if it is gimei or not. For what price is it gone? 

18 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

I’m not bothered by the kikusui.  They weren’t stamped, they where each hand made.  You can see many variations here:

I knew that we had this thread some time ago but couldnt find it. 

I think they look obviously not stamped.

Thanks Bruce

I also want to add that in my Opinion the Mei is well chisseld and i cant see why someone say it is poorly made.

Im not saying it is legit and im like others not an expert.

• Like 2

I was just notified by someone that he bought and paid for this sword and the seller has not been responsive since payment was sent. The sales posts of this sword have since been removed from Facebook. I am not making any accusations, but this is the individual who posted the sword for sale.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.dumas.5283

I had been offered this sword, too at 2k but then the seller disapperared. So I guess it is not necessarily a scam as he would have done his best to "sell" the sword to as many people as possible. So I keep my fingers crossed that your friend will receive the sword soon.

My personal take on the sword is after a long study that it may be legit work by that smith but having had the mon added later on. The workmanship in the blade seems to be good and correct for the smith while teh signature is pretty different, especially the positioning of it.

Would be nice if this went to someone knowledgeable who can come uop with a good oppinion on it.

Hello, All.

I am the buyer of this sword; unfortunately, I do not have it in-hand to provide any more detail or information on it.  I paid for said sword on Friday, October 22, 2021 and, to date, the seller, Michael Dumas, has not shipped the sword and continues to provide reasons why it has not been shipped.

I have opened a claim with PayPal, as I paid via Goods & Services (highly recommended for dealing with unknown entities), and I have until the 16th of this month to escalate the claim.

For anyone else that has been approached by this seller, I would recommend taking a look at my experiences herein and proceeding accordingly.  Needless to say, a very aggravating situation to be in.

I will gladly provide updates as the situation changes.

Regards,

Steve

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..