QUESTION RE "DAI NIPPON" NEWSLETTER LATE '60s, EARLY '70s

A gun collector mate of mine has asked me as "the Japanese collector guy" whether I can help him find some information.  I've done the all-ways Dr Google searches using keyword combinations from his question, but sadly no 'hits'.  I did find that DAI NIPPON is a publishing company and no doubt had a vast number of publications.  I can do no more than pose his question to the Board to bring their collective knowledge and experience to bear on the subject:

I'm trying to find some information on Japanese newsletter, Dai Nippon published in the
>  late '60s or early '70s, concerning Francotte rifles and swords made for the Melbourne
>  military 1892 plus any other info on who received this consignments, thank you.

This has been mentioned some time ago and I knew a collection that had a sword made in Japan for the Melbourne Town Hall Militia, I think it was.  This is Melbourne in the State of Victoria, Australia.  If anyone is interested in this particular sword send me a PM and I'll dig out the article for you.

Thank you all,

BaZZa.
aka Barry Thomas

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I do not recall there being a Japanese newsletter by the name of "Dai Nippon" during this time frame that was devoted to militaria collecting.  However, the Australian swords were marked in kanji with 大日本製 [Dai Nippon-sei].  I am wondering if they are getting the sword markings mixed up with a newsletter's name?

The Defence authorities have recently purchased from the Japan Government 50 swords for the use of the officers of the cadet corps.  They were manufactured in the Imperial arsenal at Japan and have been tested here with highly satisfactory results.  The cost of the weapons is £1 apiece, as against £3, the price of those of English manufacture.  They are of highly finished workmanship, and, indeed, the Japanese are regarded as among the best sword manufacturers in the world.  The object of securing the samples is to ascertain whether it is desirable in future to obtain a large supply of these weapons from that country.

“News of the Day.” The Age. 1893-01-27. Pages 4-5.  See specifically page 5, column 1.

In January, 25 Meiji (1892), the Tokyo Arsenal made 1,000 small arms and 100 sabers for the Military Department of the City of Melbourne, Australia, at its request, which was the beginning in Japan of the manufacture of articles made on commission for a foreign government.

Kobayashi, Ushisaburo. Military Industries of Japan. New York: Oxford University Press, 1922. Page 45.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..