Blade #1 back from polish

Mark S.

I sent 2 blades to Woody Hall for polish.  First one came back.  I’ll post a couple ‘before’ pics, then several after pics, and finally some combined pics showing details of before and after.  I’ll apologize up front to you and Woody about the quality of my photos.  As is usually stated “much better in hand”.  The lighting tended to whiten quite a bit of the activity and makes blade look much more ‘course’ than it is.  I think Woody did an excellent job bringing out the activity in this blade.

BC89C512-CCA9-4557-8929-57D555161E3C.jpeg

91BA712D-0012-4485-BAA1-124FC6AFCC5C.jpeg

Oh… and it has been asked in the past how much steel is removed during polish.  This wakizashi had a nagasa of 44.1cm and ended with a length of 43.97cm - pre-polish weight was 355 grams and 350 grams post-polish.  Of course, this information is anecdotal and based simply on what Woody felt the blade needed.  

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Did you discuss with Woody why the Shinoji 

Wasn't burnished to mirror like?

I did not ask specifically… but because there was activity in the shinogi, I think he left it unburnished / less burnished to aid in identification.  I’m completely good with it, and would rather have a chance to see the activity.  Also, I had blade under bright LED lighting for pics which really highlighted the activity, but also made it look much coarser than it is in hand.

Have had Woody polish a blade for me and was and am still really satisfied with the communication and process and the end result. He is a top operator  and will be sending my blades to him in future. Cheers Woody and thanks- a beer when we can get there! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..