Fake or real katana?

Hi everyone.

I hope i post this in correct category.

Im a new collector (noob) and i found a katana that im thinking about buying. After learning how many old looking fakes are out there i got real nervous. The seller want a lot of money, but he can not give me a lot of information about the sword, and he seems to not understand many basic things.

I can see there is markings on the Tsuba(hand guard) in addition to the blade. I almost did not see it. But the seller can not give name of blacksmith and i think that is strange since the blade have a clear markings. I tried looking at 200 pages of kata blacksmith database with no luck, so now im here.

Hope you can help. Thank you so much in advance

All i want to know is if this is real or not.

Would be happy to get more info if you have any, but its not needed.

THANK YOU

(I have removed the pictures out of respect for seller)

• Like 1

You may likely not like my reply but it is the most frank maybe even blunt and best advice you can get: As long as you can not tell an obvious real Nihonto from a fake you should NOT buy any sword at all but look into this affair a lot more FIRST (by reading some basic books or reading this forum)

You say that the seller asks a lot of money. This is very relative. But what is ultimate is that it is obviously a lot of money for you - the more you should be carefull at what you buy as you will likely NOT see that money come back to you case you are going to sell it again one day.

I could now give you a couple more reasons why you would likely NOT want to buy this sword but once you study you will likely find out yourself.

Enjoy this great hobby and spend some little money and a lot of time on some books first.

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..