Cord Sarute question

Kolekt-To

Hey guys,

I read the 2018 NMB thread about Cord sarutes and I wanted to know the thickness measurement of the typical rope used - 1.5mm? 2.0? 3.0? And, Bruce, for reference, I have included a photo of the tsuka of your Mantetsu - a close-up of the cord sarute replacement you attached (as mentioned in your post from 2018, all that was left of the original cord sarute was a "nub"). And, where did you acquire the cord?

Thanks,

Geoff

Sarute_rope-cord style_example from NMB Bruce_Mantetsu.jpg

Thanks guys! Bruce, what is the width of your sarute? I used digital calipers to measure the width of the one gunto I have that has, what appears to be an original, cord sarute attached. It's attached to a Kai Gunto and the width of the cord is approximately 3.0mm with a dark brown color that nearly matches the color of the Ito.

Thanks Bruce!

I'm wanting to add a dark brown cord sarute to one of my Kai Guntos and I'd like to find cord that appears as authentic as possible. Anyone have ideas about where to find the cord? Months ago, I found cord at my local Hobby Lobby, and attached that to one of my swords, but the color is a bit too light - not the darker brown I'd prefer. I've been searching online since, however I haven't yet found what I'm looking for.

Sorry, Bruce, I was confused. You referred to the Ito and I somehow mistakenly inferred kabutogane and fittings from that. Lol

Anyway, here's another photo. This time the lighting is different. The Ito has not been painted gold and I'm grateful for that! And, though it does appear in the photo that the color of the sarute cord is lighter than the ito, when you see it in person, the color of the sarute cord appears darker and much closer to the color of the ito.

Type 97_Tenshozan Forge_Tsuka close-up 2.0.jpg

• Like 1

Bruce, the skin is black, although, with the lighting in that photo, it looks a little off. I just took another good look at the tsuka of this kai gunto and it's definitely black - both sides. It feels like sharkskin, though, as opposed to that nice bumpy ray skin we see on some kai guntos, as with many of the high-end examples.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChrisAWilson said:

How are the sarutes attached? tied in a knot or stitched together??

Chris Wilson

There is no knot visible and the sarute has a tight fit. I pulled on it, but it does not move. I didn't want to pull or tug with more force due to risk of damaging it. I'm inclined to believe that it's stitched rather than knotted. If there is a knot, it would have to be a small one that would fit inside the narrow barrel.

As I indicated in a post on this subject, I believe the sarute cord color closely matches the handle wrap ITO. For me a missing piece of the puzzle, was how was a Navy cord sarute tied? Remembering that an important part of sea faring was rope skills, and tying knots, you would imagine that a simple granny knot would not go down well with a Navy officer. 

I have come across some tied like the attached photos. I have no idea how to reproduce the knot, and I will not un-tie this one to find out! But it certainly looks Nautical to me.  

a8.jpg

a9.jpg

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..