Interesting artwork on my tanto

Janrudolph

Friends, I don't know if it is just me, or if the forum layout has changed, but I'm struggling to get things right. I should have rotated the pic above to correct the upside-down bird view on my Edo period tanto kashira. One of my helpful friends on the board has kindly suggested the bird might be a crane; however, the overall body shape does not seem correct for a long-necked crane. Any other ideas as to the type of bird shown? (I'm inclined to believe the artist had a certain type of bird in mind when he executed this artwork, so I think a specific identification is possible.) Johan

Dale, that's a good idea you have there. One might argue that the beak of the bird on the kashira is a bit too long for a sparrow, and perhaps the legs are too long also. Are there other suggestions? 

The pictures you have shown, Dale, also seem to identify the golden sprig in the right corner of my kashira. Surely, those are bamboo shoots and leaves? Johan

Johan,

the photo is not well focused, but it could be a heron (SAGI I think), seen from the front (or almost). In flying, they do not stretch out their necks, but you can see the long legs trailing behind.

I don't think it is a long-beaked, long-legged sparrow. :glee:

Additionally, you have indeed bamboo leaves and pine twigs.

Dale, George, Grev, Bob & Jean, all your kind inputs are valuable to me. I know I am not the right person to judge or assess your suggestions, as I have soooo little hands-on experience with nihonto. But my gut feeling tends towards the night heron. And I have accepted the ID of the bamboo and pine. I'm still curious however about those two little golden comb-shaped objects situated close to the bamboo leaves....?

I tend to file the "generic bird" idea at the bottom of the pile, for now..... why? Well, in my mind's eye I see these hundreds of mid-level makers of fuchikashira plying their trade in the ubiquitous "Edo period". They were working in a competitive market and were intent on winning custom. How better to do this than using real birds to highlight the traditions and beliefs of the populace. The generic bird notion seems to shout: low quality/rush job. I also believe they churned out very many identical/similar fuchikashira like mine to satisfy the demand in their time, whole strings of fuchikashira all looking the same. There must be hundreds of swords carrying exactly the same artwork as mine. Each one unique in a sense, yes, being hand-crafted, but yet just about identical. But where are the many examples that are supposed to abound?

Guys, take these thoughts from whom it comes, the least qualified to voice them! But I express these notions as an invitation for you to disagree with me in this discussion. I want to better understand and enjoy my nihonto! Thanks. Johan    

Please see (amongst others) three pics of the fuchi, showing two more of the golden "combs". Those swirls engraved above, to the rear of the turtle, seem to me to be the edge of the sea. If that is the case, the "comb" might be a boat with some masts. But these are guesses. These fittings have obviously seen a lot of wear, if not lack of care. But they are genuine old nihonto and I hold them in esteem. The ito seems to be silk.

I must assume the gold colour is gold foil, rubbed onto the design. I am also assuming the fuchi band/collar started off as a simple flat strip of iron, and the pine design crafted as a separate piece of iron and then inletted into the collar. The turtle itself seems to be some coppery metal, not iron.

(I'm expecting some flak soon because of my determination in trying to see things in the artwork that don't deserve all the attention.....!) Johan.  

• Haha 1

Brian, my apologies - I worded my request for info wrongly. I should have said "Those lines that seem like eddies, engraved above, to the rear of the minogame turtle, seem to me to be the edge of the sea." The turtle has already been identified as minogame when the tanto blade plus fittings was discussed in the nihonto board a few days ago. But thanks for coming in again. I get a lot of satisfaction from knowing that the various "characters" or themes portrayed by the artists/craftsmen on our Japanese swords all carry some message or serve as a reminder of the deep cultural or traditional values and beliefs of the Japanese. I would conversely have been less impressed if the tokens on the swords had been generic or randomly chosen as a sales gimmick in olden days. Please don't tell me that the Japanese craftsmen of old sometimes did this! It would blow my bubble!

I think it is common on low-level swords today, is it not? I'm sure you can get any old picture on a tsuba or fuchikashira. Some do tell a story though: let me quickly bring this one in, about my Longquan katana with a beautiful cormorant neck blade, plus hamon and hada, sporting three horses on each side of the tsuba, as well as on the fuchikashira. It was made about 20 years ago on order for a SA veterinarian who loved doing endurance horse trials. I got it from him.

But I digress..... Anymore suggestions as to the "combs" / "boats" or whatever? Thanks. Johan  

Don't overthink it too much. These were essentially mass production of handmade items, I don't think they thought all that much about each dot. On most fittings I've seen, those "comb shaped" objects just represent rocks or stones on the ground. The minogame appears to be climbing out of the sea onto land, so expect rocks, trees, leaves etc.

• Like 1

The additional information that the fuchi has a minogame clinches the identification of the bird on the kashira as a Crane (instead of a Night Heron).  Research the symbols of longevity and you will be convinced too (there are 4 main symbols: pine, bamboo, crane & minogame).

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..