Shin-gunto with black saya, any significance?

Ron STL

Just purchased a typical shin-gunto which has a black saya and am curious if this carries any significance. The sword has not been examined since carried in the war, but suffered typical abuse by the child that it was given to. The black saya definitely appears to be issued with this black color, something I've never encountered before. Perhaps someone who studies military mountings can comment on this for me? Surprisingly, the sword blade is a shinshin-to that has been shortened ~ 3.5" singed/dated Oshu Sendai ju Minamoto Kanetsugu, dated 1851. The tsuka was literally rusted onto the nakago, this plus suriage sort of minimizes any value in the blade. However the black painted saya might carry some significance. I'll save this for my table in Chicago in April, but would appreciate your thoughts on this saya. 

Ron STL

BLACK SAYA.jpg

23 hours ago, Peter Bleed said:

Ron,

I'd love to see the signature, Kanetsugu is a guy.

peter

All very interesting to learn about this black saya question. Answered my question. 

Meanwhile, Peter, I wondered if you were there to pick up  on the Sendai mei. I did have fun checking out this Sednai Kanetsugu fellow but there is not a lot out there on him, although rated "Chu-Jo saku" by Fujishiro. The blade which was suriage and stained from childhood chopping stuff was still interesting. Basically a suguha hamon and original sugata of 28" + originally. you asked for the mei, so the photos should do that. No Kunekane, Peter, but they may have shared some saki together. 

Ron STL

BLACK SAYA 1.jpg

BLACK SAYA 2.jpg

BLACK SAYA 3.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..