Kataoka Kunihiro - Bought unseen

Lareon

I recently Bought this with the blade unseen, only the Mei and a picture of the Saya.

• The blade is in ok condition - still very sharp
  • There's no mekugi
  • The Mei is signed - 片岡国廣   -  Kataoka Kunihiro   (thank you to SteveM for the translation)
  • The Tsuka wrap has a few pieces of what looks like cotton pushed in to keep it tight im guessing
  • I like the style of the Mei 
  • Seems like one Seppa is missing - the Tsuba is a touch loose either due to this or the lack of Mekugi
  • Matching numbers except on one of the seppa
  • Leather Saya is in Poor condition at one end with the metal exposed - I like it, it gives it character
  • What would people's recommendations be on caring for the leather so it doesn't degrade any further.
  • All comments welcome, flaws and things I may have missed :)

Anyway, Happy with my purchase as the price was very good 

PXL_20211014_124504599_copy.jpg

PXL_20211014_124918020.jpg

PXL_20211014_124728084.jpg

PXL_20211014_124730789.jpg

PXL_20211014_124738307.jpg

PXL_20211014_124845834.jpg

PXL_20211014_124851016.jpg

PXL_20211014_124909681.jpg

PXL_20211014_124912536.jpg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Grey Doffin said:

Hi Tony,

As soon as possible or even sooner, replace the mekugi. Without a mekugi the blade can fall out of the tsuka and badly damage its kissaki or your foot. Whittle a bamboo chopstick.

Grey

Cheers Grey, it will have it's mekugi asap, am i right in saying one of the seppa is missing?

• Like 1

Hello Tony,

Firstly, sorry for the long answer and I know, it too detailed and also, many have there own proven methods....but I just found myself with more time on my hands today than I thought :laughing:

Nice historical example that has clearly 'been there, done that' and I love that about such WW2 pieces (if they could only talk).  Apart from professional polishing of blade (and thats probably not worth it), please don't 'upgrade'  the remainder as its very nice as is.

On the seppa, yes it looks like it is missing one but, as you say, it could simply be the lack of mekugi.  So fix that problem first and see how it all fits and if you still need to tighten things up a little then you could consider a small seppa (original please/no repro's)....or even a compressed leather seppa.  PM me if you would like any tips on making a 'respectful of age' mekugi or leather seppa.

On the matter of leather preservation...everyone has their own favourites.  But for what its worth, I use ' Renapur ' Leather Balsam.  I have used Dubbin and similar products and they are very good but Renapur is used by some large museums for their leather conservation and I just wanted something from 'the top shelf'.

Some find it too sticky/gluggy and it is, BUT is absorbed over a period of 48 hours or so.  Firstly, only use it on the treated side (outside) not the suede leather sides.  Use disposable gloves and apply it generously using a piece (cube) of sponge.  Slowly and gently.  Use a cotton bud for any really small areas that you need to get to but again, slowly and softly. Leave the saya in a moderately warm area for at least 2-3 days and you will see that it has been absorbed.  Then you can very lightly buff the outside of the cover to bring up the shine that was there before you started on the smooth/treated sections of leather.  When I say 'lightly buff', I mean it.    I roll a micro fibre towel (approx. 30cm x 30cm) into something the size of hotdog and then loosely wrap a piece of well worn flannel over that and then very lightly but quickly dust (i.e. like a fast light rub over the whole saya gradually increasing pressure (but only moderately) until you start to see the shine come out.  If you feel any resistance when you start then STOP and lighten up. You will reach a stage where there is no resistance on the shined leather but the scuffed leather will always resist this buffing so just leave that alone.  You wont shine the scuffed leather and this, and other similar products, will slightly darken the whole saya but that's just restoring to a rich more original tone.  

It then up to you if you want to apply shoe polish to certain areas but I don't see the need.

Now one question for you Tony, the saya drag that is protruding from the leather combat cover looks like a worn drag from a Type 95 but yours is clearly a Type 98..bit confused about the look of that.  No question about it being genuine, its just that, from the picture, I haven't seen a Type 98 drag like that before.  Other may have an answer for this (probably just my inexperience) but if you don't get a response to this query, could you post a picture of the saya throat and a better one of the drag.

All the best.

Rob

drag.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..