Which Bizen Osafune Norimitsu (1473) ?

TheGermanBastard

Bunmei 4 would be 1472. The blade is katakiriba?

I will look for an oshigata from that same time period, but it would be surprised if this mei is not authentic for one of the Bizen Norimitsu. I believe that is the later part of "Kansho" Norimitsu's working time period 

2 hours ago, Ray Singer said:

I will look for an oshigata from that same time period, but it would be surprised if this mei is not authentic for one of the Bizen Norimitsu. I believe that is the later part of "Kansho" Norimitsu's working time period 

Thank you Ray.

Unfortunately the Nakago is in poor condition. The blade has seen some polishes, too but should probably polish up well. It was mainly the mounts and the shape that attracted me.

38 minutes ago, NihontoCollector said:

The blade has seen some polishes, too but should probably polish up well.

Based on the discussion so far, it would be most wise to choose an excellent polisher that is not only capable of excellent foundation work, but more importantly not rendering a mediocre final result, or worse, like screwing up. Not all polishers are equal and the responsibility falls back on the sword's owner to see that a correct polisher is selected. 

• Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, Franco D said:

Based on the discussion so far, it would be most wise to choose an excellent polisher that is not only capable of excellent foundation work, but more importantly not rendering a mediocre final result, or worse, like screwing up. Not all polishers are equal and the responsibility falls back on the sword's owner to see that a correct polisher is selected. 

That is offtopic and not part of this discussion. Before aynthing is sent for polishing it first needs to be determined if it is worth teh effort. Gimei or Mumei Muromachi hardly is

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NihontoCollector said:

That is offtopic and not part of this discussion. Before aynthing is sent for polishing it first needs to be determined if it is worth teh effort. Gimei or Mumei Muromachi hardly is

Gee Luis, why doesn't any of your reply come as a surprise. 

• Downvote 1

I too have just acquired a blade signed by Bizen Osafune Norimitsu dated to 1468. When I have had time to study it properly I will publish images and details. What is immediately evident  is that it is a short, heavy blade with prominent bo utsuri and suguba hamon.

Ian Bottomley

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..