RJT smith SEKI MITSUNOBU

Bruno

Hi,

I am looking for an "approved" jishin mei by RJT smith SEKI MITSUNOBU.

On Dr STEIN's oshigata page, there are 3 different mei  (attached pics) wich leads me to think some are nakirishi mei, or maybe he just changed his mei style?

I would guess jishin mei are more likely found on his earlier blades. I only saw blades dated 1944 so maybe he just worked one year?

If you have oshigata or own a gendaito by this smith, it would be great to share a close up of the mei and indicate the year too.

from Markus book:

MITSUNOBU (光信), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Mitsunobu” (光信), real name Kaneda Mitsuhiro (金田光弘), born February 27th 1924, student of Kanenobu (兼延), he worked as rikugun-jumei-tōshō and died June 25th 1974

Finally, I would like to find from when to when he worked as a RJT and if he had students.

Thanks for your help

mitsuno2.jpg

mitsuno4.jpg

mitsunob.jpg

Is there more than one Mitsunobu 光信?  A Mitsunobu registered with the Seki guild on 1943-02-22.  Below is the actual text.

刀匠名: 光信.

氏名: 岸・光弘.

受付年月日: S18.02.22 [S = 昭和].

Attention: @mecox

Edited by Kiipu

Indeed he is Bruce! Thanks for the reminder.

I think Seki Mitsunobu had Niwa kanenobu as master, plus, to me, there are similarities in some of their respective mei. Mitsunobu's later work mei are very similar to Kanenobu's mei. I admit though I base this analysis only on the very few exemples I have seen.

It seems smiths who entered the RJT prog late in 1944/45 are very little if not documented.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mal!

What surprises me is that I have been told by a knowledgable person that Mitsunobu is back row middle and Nakata Kanehide back row right.

On the translation p.28 it says Mitsunobu is back row right and Nakata Kanehide is back row left.

So one version is not correct.

Bruno, looking at the pic from the FRONT, and considering the BACK row LEFT to RIGHT (and assuming a date of 1941).

Left:  NAKATA ISAMU KANEHIDE, born 1913, age 28 (your small photo).

Middle:  NIWA SHUJI KANENOBU, born 1903, age 38.

Right:  KISHI MITSUHIRO MITSUNOBU, born Taisho 13 (1924), age 17.  He was a student of Shuji Kanenobu (your big photo, cap with black brim). 

Mal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, mecox said:

Hi Bruno, never found a name, but I believe they are students (of the tosho) at the Seki  Token Corp.  Interesting they have army caps.

I think the hat that guy wearing is not an official army cap. Just the Army-style 軍屬/civilian cap. Note the hats the two girls on the left are wearing, the photo was taken in 1943 at 福岡。

1943年3月小仓造兵厂福冈的副本.jpg

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..