Larry Klahn

Sharing a post below from Facebook. I know many of us here knew Larry from the community and the US sword shows over the years. My condolences to all here who knew him.

It is with a heavy heart that I bring sad news of the passing of a long time collector and friend, Larry Klahn, of La Crosse, WI. 
I met Larry some 40 years ago. He ran a martial arts school in La Crosse and was with the sheriff's department where he was a SWAT trainer and a member of the tactical team for many years.

Larry was familiar to most who attended the regional military and sword shows. He was a passionate collector with many friends in many different spheres. 
About 15 years ago Larry's health went south and after a long period, he was diagnosed with Lyme's disease. Left untreated for so long, it did a great deal of damage. He recently had a hip replaced after a long wait but came down with covid a week or so ago. Due to his underlying health issues, he lost his last fight. 

Larry and I had many good times together- we promoted a few sword shows together, we spent time enjoying swords, shooting, trout fishing, eating pizza and as Larry called it, "talking big". As many will attest, Larry was always ready to help and always someone fun to be around. He will be missed greatly by many.

As if this isn't sad enough, I have to add one more bit of bad news. ...While Larry was in the hospital, his school/apartment was broken into and he was robbed. The police have caught the person responsible but are trying to reclaim the swords and firearms that the individual stole and sold all over the SW part of the Wisconsin, Iowa and MInnesota. If anyone hears of any recent swords purchases made from a guy with tattoos and a red van, please let me know so I can forward the info to the La Crosse police department. - Chris Bowen

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry to hear this. I had some good exchanges with Larry at the shows in Minneapolis and Chicago. He always had a good story, 'talked big', and would give you a great deal on a sword as long as the last negotiation was on his terms. He will be missed.

• Like 1

I knew Larry for a great many years I first met him in Chicago at my first show I had a set up and they had closed the room up and I didn't know, security wasn't letting anybody in I tried to get in and they ushered me out, I said that's kind of rude , there was this guy with kind  smile and said come on over to the room I'll show you some swords I and a few other guys went to his room and that's where I fell in love with real  Nihonto not just swords I bought and sold over the years at gun shows but the real deal I'll never forget Larry's kindness considered him a great friend, rest in peace my brother

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ray Singer said:

As if this isn't sad enough, I have to add one more bit of bad news. ...While Larry was in the hospital, his school/apartment was broken into and he was robbed. The police have caught the person responsible but are trying to reclaim the swords and firearms that the individual stole and sold all over the SW part of the Wisconsin, Iowa and MInnesota. If anyone hears of any recent swords purchases made from a guy with tattoos and a red van, please let me know so I can forward the info to the La Crosse police department.

That is very hard to hear as well, glad they caught the scumbag and are trying to locate the items. Perhaps a stolen sword alert would be best if pictures/descriptions can be obtained.

Scumbags are everywhere - it shouldn't happen to nice guys like Larry.  Lyme Disease is a vastly under-rated and misunderstood disease, like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  I'm saddened to read that Larry was burdened with Lyme for 16 years.

Thank you Ray for letting us all know and thanks to Chris Bowen for a heartfelt Obituary.  Stephen's story underscored for me that good people are what is the best about Nihonto collecting.

RIP Larry.

BaZZa.

• Like 2

I am so sorry to hear this, as Larry was a friend and fellow enthusiast.  The Minneapolis show organized by Larry and Chris has been the only show that I have had the time to attend over the last decade or so and getting to know Larry there, I appreciated his larger than life personality, his great sense of humor and his generosity to others.  I will truly miss Larry and send my condolences out to his family and many friends.  

Good News!!!!!!!! (at least about the swords -- still sad to lose Larry)   I heard of a large number of swords for sale in WI. i contacted the seller, they were Larry's swords, he had returned them to the family so after communicating  With Chris B i understand all are accounted for

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mark said:

i contacted the seller, they were Larry's swords, he had returned them to the family

Bit confused. Seller advertised a large bunch of swords, and they were Larry's stolen ones? Who returned them to the family?
Glad to hear the outcome though, so that Larry's friends can have a chance to own some of his swords if and when they come up for sale.

a person i know, said hey Mark i hear there is a collection of swords available for sale, call this guy he has them

I call the person, he says yes he had bought a collection, but found out they had been stolen, so gave them to a friend of Larry's.  I don't know the details of how he found out

I contact Chris B and he verified that the swords are returned and accounted for

Since it was mentioned here i figured i would let the group know they were recovered.  probably could have been clearer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..