Long shot - do you recognize this book?

Surfson

I just bought a tsuba that looks just like one listed in a book that they shared with the ad.   I am including a photo of the tsuba as well as two photos of the book shown in the listing that has a tsuba attributed to Hayashi Matashichi.  Sadly, they didn't  mention the book name in the listing. The tsuba I bought has NBTHK H papers to Higo.  Do any of you by any chance recognize the book that is pictured?  I can't read the page number but it looks to be 1XX.  

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 11.14.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 11.14.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 11.16.25 AM.png

• Like 2

Hi Robert,

I can’t help with that reference but there’s a very similar one in “Higo Tsuba shou - Kurotetsu no Hana” at page 57. It’s down as Tsuboi school (坪井流).

If you think it will help I can sort out some pictures and post them tomorrow - it’s late in the UK now. 

6 hours ago, Shugyosha said:

Hi Robert,

I can’t help with that reference but there’s a very similar one in “Higo Tsuba shou - Kurotetsu no Hana” at page 57. It’s down as Tsuboi school (坪井流).

If you think it will help I can sort out some pictures and post them tomorrow - it’s late in the UK now. 

That would be greatly appreciated John!

There seem to be a few of the design about, this image is from the Varshavsky Collection blog.

https://varshavskycollection.com/collection/tsu-0258/

image.thumb.png.9b5e6a6fea85307c594f97a89a7702af.png

The Higo example can be found at Iron tsuba. The works of the exhibition “Kurogane no hana”, The Japanese Sword Museum, 2014, p. 69, №56: Sugomori-tsuru sukashi-tsuba (Nesting Crane). Mumei: Matashichi (1st generation), early 17th century.

http://www.nihonto.us/CRANE SUKASHI TSUBA.htm  has a variant that is not very far from the design.

image.png.e498270fe078789d958d7f9ccc900869.png

Hi Bob , you asked about Tsuba Kansho Jiten . Like any other book by Sato Kanzan the pieces shown are also in lots of other books . For example there are twenty two tsuba by Kaneiye pictured all of which I am sure could be found in other references . Grey Doffin implies that it contains iron tsuba but there are also plenty of Kinko items shown . There are some pieces though that I don't recall seeing elsewhere such as the unusual one attached . 

Ian Brooks

DSCF5443 (2).JPG

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Surely there is more to this than meets the eye???  Dale???  It looks like the Christian version of Hell (or a Macbeth performance, even a Hieronymus Bosch utsushi!!) dressed up in Buddhist clothing!!  Perhaps a Ghost story for children??

BaZZa.

• Like 3

Bob , it is a nice book and if you didn't have many tsuba books then it would be well worth having. However if you have an number of other books by Sato and /or Wakayama then I would give it a miss because much of the contents of Tsuba Kansho Jiten will be in those other books . Ian

• 2 years later...