My Japanese Surrender Tag

insegnante

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am interested in translating this Japanese Surrender Tag on my sword that I have had for a long time. No one seems to be able to translate it because it is written in an old Japanese script from pre-WWII days. I took the best picture I could of this tag. I hope it can be translated for me.

Many Thanks,

Sergio

Surrender Tag.jpg

It's not the script (all the kanji on this tag are still in use today). It's more likely the condition of the tag and the folds and shadows and smudges making it difficult to read. One often hears the "its ancient script" excuse as a way of avoiding the embarassment of not being able to read sword tags - or maybe its a way of saying "this tag is too smudged to read clearly", but they don't want to cause you embarassment. 

Anyway: 

One Guntō sword

Length: 2 shaku, 2 sun

Unsigned (spelled wrong, but understandable)

This sword belongs to:

Chiba Prefecture, Chōsei-gun, Yatsumi-mura 

the name is too badly smudged for me to read it, but maybe someone here can decipher it. 

• Like 6

Simply that when they were ordered to hand over all their swords during the surrender, many of them added these names and addresses in the hope that oneday they will get their swords back.
Many were arsenal swords that could never be returned anyways. It's just a "nice to have" with a sword.

• Like 2

Thank you very much Brian. I am very grateful that you explained this to me. I am a novice at understanding anything dealing with Japanese swords. The Japanese teacher that I asked said that she could not read these words. I am posting them to see if anyone can tell me if this is correct.

First and Last Names.jpg

I thank you Steve M. very much. It is a shame that I cannot find the family that owns this sword.  If I knew the city that was on the address maybe I could contact them by this method. Some times during war time people and items get lost forever. I want to than Brian and Steve M for all of the assistance and guidance they have given me. Respectfully Insegnante Sergio-B.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..