Bungo-to Exhibition in Oita, Japan

If any members are in Japan, and close to Kyushu, a special exhibition has been organised on the swords of Bungo province (modern-day Oita prefecture), by the NBTHK Oita branch.
The exhibition is being held in Usuki History Museum, in Usuki city. The exhibition will run until 20th December, though, there are effectively two exhibitions with a second set of swords on display from the 15th of November.  If interested, I can also send a list of the swords on display, which was discussed and arranged at the Oita NBTHK meeting.

Usuki is also a lovely place for sightseeing - it's famous for its stone buddhas, which are a national treasure, and there is also a wonderful castle ruin, which was the main castle of Otomo Sorin, the daimyo of Bungo province, in later life. I would also be happy to meet up with anyone who wishes to attend the exhibition.

bungo.jpg

• Like 5

Michael, Kyushu is a wonderful place. There’s so much European-Japanese history here. I also forgot to add that de Liefde, the ship which William Adams was aboard, washed ashore at Kuroshima, which is an island just off Usuki in Oita. I’ll try to get a couple of cheeky photos for you.

Jussi, I’ve attached the lists for the two displays. I agree, koto Bungo-to can be very elegant indeed. A few months back, I was fortunate enough to be permitted to view several early Bungo tachi in a local shrine which were owned by the Otomo clan. 

981067F1-7E4A-4354-A40B-951E8AADAF86.jpeg

7A8F8B89-3DD1-4E11-92A8-0EBAC0BC2D2A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..