Japanese Exports to the UK

I've been looking at a few items for sale in Japan using buyee and jauce. 

every item seems to be prohibited for sale I'm guessing this is due to the export paper work of these items.

does anyone have any tips on buying from these sites?

I'm in the UK and traditionally made swords are legal for import (only traditionally made swords though)

any Information would be useful 

Tony

Tony,

unless you really know your stuff be very careful buying from these sites. There are lots of traps for the unwary and apparent bargains often aren’t. 

Check the links section under “nihonto info” at the top of the page. There are a number of reputable dealers listed there. Alternatively there’s the sales section on here. NMB sellers are reputable and prices are reasonable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tony,

I've no experience of buying from those auction sites, but echo what John says. However, I'm new to all this, but I have bought from a couple of the nihonto dealers in Japan, listed in the links section that John pointed out.

The export/import process was fairly straightforward; just make sure your seller clearly marks the item as an Antique Japanese Art Sword, puts the approximate date of production on the form and uses the correct international "harmonisation" code (so you only pay the 5% VAT rate).

There are a couple of helpful threads about importing elsewhere on the site which can be found with the search function.

Cheers,

Jon

Hi.   These sites have key words built into their systems that automatically prohibit bidding.   You cannot buy a sword, and listing with the word gun etc.  If you are blocked from bidding on an item you can ask them to manually review the listing but there is inconsistency with decisions at times.   They do not want to handle items that may have issues passing customs.  Mark  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..