Bonhams : The Art of the Samurai.

On 10/8/2021 at 11:07 AM, NihontoCollector said:

Many items look familiar. Estimates seem to be on the high side.

The Hamano Naohide and Omori Terumitsu tsubas in this auction I’ve definitely seen for sale on Darcy’s website in the past. 

8 minutes ago, Gakusee said:

Does anyone know who "Kokusai Nihon Kachu Bugu Shinko Kyokai (International Society for the Promotion of Japanese Armor)" are? I have not heard of them....

For this exceptional, godly project creator, he is the only one, unique, the best, the wisest, the most capable, the best of the best .............. the best of the best ...... sorry , it was already ........ you already know the rest    :freak:

• Like 2

Simon, I am sorry but your response seems rather perplexing rather than elucidating. Would you so graciously disabuse me as to who Kokusai Nihon Kachu Bugu Shinko Kyokai is?

I am only familiar with the Japanese Armor Society in Japan, Nihon Katchu Bugu Kenkyu Hozon Kai (NKBKHK).

If you could kindly share your perspectives on KNKBSK, I shall be grateful. If not, I shall ask Luc T as he might have a view. 

Curiously, several of the armours in this Bonhams sale come with attestations from KNKBSK, and the more knowledgeable katchu members here might have a view on the strength and recognition of their opinions. I am only somewhat familiar with NKBKHK, which I only recently joined (around 3-4 years ago). 

22 minutes ago, YOJIMBO said:

For this exceptional, godly project creator, he is the only one, unique, the best, the wisest, the most capable, the best of the best .............. the best of the best ...... sorry , it was already ........ you already know the rest    :freak:

Hi.  I have been following the evolution of the KNKBSK since its inception.   It is a professionally organised group dedication to the preservation of Japanese Armour.   They are conducting Shinsa, issuing papers and are approachable either directly or through liaison delegates in different locations around the world.   Whilst relatively new they are making inroads internationally and their papers have been accepted by Bonhams and no doubt other organisations and auction houses.

As an armour collector I support their business model as I also support the JAS.   I would only ask that the moderators of this site oversee posted comments, as slandering or degrading a properly registered, legal entity in Japan does nothing positive for anyone.   Time will show success or failure but at this early time in the organisation’s existence I think it fair to give them a chance.

Mark

• Like 3

Thank you, Mark

That is very helpful and that is why I wanted to ask questions of the knowledgeable and experienced katchu collectors and users. I had never heard of that organisation before, and I now understand a bit better who they are and what they represent.

In fact, I agree that slandering or degrading comments should not be posted and I had assumed the original bewildering comments were directed at me. Hence, my request for clarification of what was meant by Simon.

Guido helpfully clarified by inserting a link to another social media platform. 

In any case, I wish to clarify that I am not intending to pass judgement or make critical remarks and apologise if my enquiry has been deemed insulting. 

• Like 1

Well, considering that the "liaison manager" called this a "forum owned by a scumbag" I don't see any real reason to grant them much leniency. Hopefully they are of better moral fiber than some of their representatives.
Things follow you around the net, it bears remembering.

To clarify the Kokusai Nihon Katchū Bugu Shinkō Kyōkai (KNKBSK) is a new professional organisation based in Japan that provides authentication and papering services to professional dealers/bodies both within and outside of Japan. The organisation is new, but this has no bearing on the quality of the rigorous appraisal process and the certificates that the organisation issues. The certificates, which can be considered a reassurance of the authenticity and quality of a piece are only issued after being appraised by a panel of experts in Japan and have multiple security features to prevent counterfeiting.

Currently the organisation does not provide certification for private collectors, for these services I recommend that you contact the Japanese Armour Society. 

If you have any further questions feel free to contact the organisation directly via: admin@katchushinko.org

Kind regards,

Thomas Sinclair

Thank you Thomas. This "scumbag" welcomes you to make use of the forum to promote the society and feel free to post announcements and events as you need.
Anything to promote the study of Japanese Arms is well worth supporting. Best of luck with your endeavors :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

as I say, anyone can start any organization with a friend.  but the professional is definitely not.  just pulling money out of stupid people.  which, and where did they pass the examination authorizing the issuance of opinions?

• Thanks 1

It's a little disappointing that the organisation will be judged by the perception of a single member, an organisation mind you that includes respected members of this forum and experts in Japan. You do no have to use the services of the KNKBSK, but there is room in the world for two bodies that authenticate and certify Japanese armour and equipment.

Kind regards,

Thomas Sinclair

• Thanks 1