Echizen Sadamichi

Brian

After my embarrassing misreading of the mei, I decided to start a new thread. Thanks to Ray for the correction to 越前國定道 - Echizen (no) kuni Sadamichi.
So the smith hasn't been identified yet. Possibly meikan more, but the piece is really well done, I would have expected him to be listed somewhere. Will post pics of this lovely naginata later, but here's the mei for now. Anyone have an idea who he may have been?

b1d.JPG      e49c3.JPG

Thanks Matt. Yeah, been going in circles with various theories going through my head. Gimei of that guy but they used the wrong Sada? or Meikan-more?
Oh the paradoxical joy of finding a mei when the blade is removed for the first time in 100 years....and then finding out he is unknown. :laughing:

• Haha 1

The taka-no-ha yasurime suggest a Mino influence.  I know clumsy kanji is not necessarily definitive of gimei, but your pics to me indicate a "rustic" if not gimei blade.  How does the quality of the blade stack up??  The sugata and general finish of the polish etc etc.

BaZZa.

PS: Oh, and on embarrassment, the word is my alter ego middle name after 'Gunnadoo' ...

Bazza,
Will post some pics of the naginata when I can get some decent ones. Although out of polish with some rust, the shape is beautiful. Exactly what I have been after for years. No crude naginata here. And the hi are well formed into horimono, not masterful but again well done. I am not sure how someone could add a fake mei of a guy that no-one knows about. Seems no point to adding an unknown name, and appears to be done at the time of forging. It's a mystery. But it is what I have been craving for many years now...since I parted with a lovely one stupidly.
And to make it better....it's in an original pole with some impressive fittings. Finding a naginata (and also 2 yari) with original poles in SA is like a miracle. I'm very, very chuffed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..