Gassan Sadakatsu Boxed Tanto

Bryce

G'day Guys,

I have come across this tanto, made by Gassan Sadakatsu using steel smelted by the Japan Iron Sand Steel Industry company. It is dated on the box either 1941 or possibly 1942. What I am trying to find out is if there is anything in the writing on the box, which gives some clue as to whether these was commissioned by the company as gifts, or were they just made by Gassan Sadakatsu using this new special steel.

Cheers,

Bryce

f00003_c_1.jpg

f00003_c_3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

The box says nothing about why or for whom it was made. The box just says its a mamorigatana (well, shugo-tantō) made by the Sand Steel Industry, then gives the dimensions.

We can kind of assume it is a gift, but it is unknown if they were corporate gifts, or if it was specifically made for someone. It kind of feels like a corporate gift (maybe a few made for executives?). If it were a personal gift I feel it would have the intended recipient's name on it. 

Thanks Steve,

The boxed swords/tanto  Gassan Sadakatsu made to commemorate the birth of Prince Akihito in 1933 are packaged the same way. They obviously weren't commissioned by an individual, but were marketed by Sadakatsu as a clever sales gimic. I am beginning to think that these Japan Iron Sand Steel Industry Company swords were marketed by Sadakatsu in the same way, rather than being commissioned by the company.

Cheers,

Bryce

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..