Type 98 being considered - help needed with translation

Kolekt-To

Hi guys,

Not sure if I should post this here, or in the Translation section. Since I'm exclusively (for now anyway) a Gunto nerd, I almost always post in this section and I'll start here. So, I recently purchased a Type 97 from this guy and I really like my new Kai Gunto - more will be revealed about that in a future post. However, I just learned that he has another of his grandfather's swords that he is willing to part with and this time it's a Type 98. The mounts are nice, but the blade is a little beat up with some very noticeable nicks on the cutting edge. It could have a traditionally-made blade and I'll explore that later. Right now, I just want the kanji on the nakago translated. Perhaps this is the work of a Seki smith? An RJT smith? A smith from an older era? And, the date may be chiseled on the other side of the nakago - there is kanji on both sides as we typically see with gunto. Attached are some photos of the nakago. 

T98 Tang1.jpg

T98 Tang2.jpg

T98 Tang3.jpg

I'm in negotiations now. I don't believe the seller is aware of the sword's value - he just believes it's one of his grandfather's old war souvenirs. But I'm not out to take advantage of anyone and I let him know that it is indeed, an older blade, and from the highly reputed Bizen school. I want him to get a fair price and, of course, I want a good deal. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help!

Well, he want's $5K USD for the sword, so that's a bit above my price range, currently. I may help him sell it. Or, if it goes unsold long enough, and he's willing to come down on price, then I may have a shot at it. The one draw back for me, other than price, is that the blade has some serious nicks to the cutting edge and the full extent of those were not revealed in the photos I posted. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..