WWII Military Type Saya/Scabbard and Blade Preservation

Hello Guys/Forum..

I have been looking around , but,  I can't  find information about the Preservation Qualities, or, how safe are the Military type Scabbards for Nihonto Blades.

What are your thoughts on  Nihonto that was mounted into Military Type Scabbards, do you guys find the need to get the Blades into a Shirasaya, or, how do you feel about leaving Nihonto Blades in the Military Mountings / Scabbards? 

As a preventative/responsibility **  move more than a "personal / affordable decision?"

Thanks for viewing..

**  A quote I heard on the  Discovery Channel's   ARTIFACTS : The Soul of the Samurai" 

"The value of a Sword is far greater that it's material worth.

It is a repository of history.

It's owner, a temporary guardian of the sprits of the past honors, thus,

obligated to cherish, respect and maintain it for future generations,

so it can pass on to them the sprit it embodies " 

-  Dr. Kevin-John McIntyre

• Like 1

I think it depends on the condition of the blade's current polish, it's quality and the condition of the koshirae. I bought a Nanbokucho blade in kaigunto koshirae recently. It was evident that there was some abrasive material that was causing scratches to the monouchi on one side. I had the sword at home for one day before shipping back out for shirasaya and tsunagi. In other cases where I felt the blade was not in immediate risk, I might hold until sending the blade for restoration. 

Best regards,

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hello Ray,

Thank you for your experience / acknowledgement of possible damage.

I got two blades in Shin-Gunto scabbards ( Mounts). 

The Blade with the leather covered Scabbard  one seems to be " O.K." , sliding out smooth,

but,

the other,  Brown  "Metal" Scabbard seems to have caused scratches ( already there on the blade when bought) along the blade .

That is the Blade I worry about.

On the other hand, I wanted to get the Blade in the Leather Scabbard into a Shirasaya first..

I have been searching for contact info. for a USA Shirasaya maker, but, I can not seem to find their e-mail,

or, my computer takes me to a sign-in page for " Messenger "..

I do not have a phone or Facebook either.

I do want to ask/inquire/start the process,  about getting at least one blade into a Shirasaya now..

I do understand that there must be a waiting list..

If you can, please help me..

Thank you.. 

Thanks for viewing..

Alton

Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestion.. 

I was doing "search Feature"  and re reading the older post about US Shirasaya makers, and, was in the "Internet" searching for John Tirado contact info again...

There are other forums that have post for guys wanting Shirasayas.

The sayashi.com  page is gone.. 

In hindsight , 10 - 15 years ago, the profession of Shirasaya making should have been on that High School 

" List of professions / Jobs that was going to be in demand in the next decades ".

Added to replies below : 

Thanks Ray and Barry.

I did not want to bump this post , so, I hope you guys see this .. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..