Soliciting comments on this waki

Harry

Dear Harry.

No dimensions so I am assuming that this is a tanto rather than a ko wakizashi.  When you look along the nakago ha into the blade is there a noticeable slope just above the machi?  If so then that would suggest quite a few polishes.  How does the thickness look at the machi?  Again, a narrowing as the blade leaves the nakago would suggest the same thing.

All the best.

3 hours ago, Geraint said:

Dear Harry.

No dimensions so I am assuming that this is a tanto rather than a ko wakizashi.  When you look along the nakago ha into the blade is there a noticeable slope just above the machi?  If so then that would suggest quite a few polishes.  How does the thickness look at the machi?  Again, a narrowing as the blade leaves the nakago would suggest the same thing.

All the best.

Sorry about that. Here are the dimensions:

Nagasa 33.5 cm

Nakago 11.5 cm

Sori 4.5 mm

There does seem to be a slight slope to the ha just above the machi. And the blade thins, but not in a way that seems unnatural.

So it's a ko wakizashi, point one, when were they created?  From the pictures the nakago looks to be ubu, would you agree?  The nakago finish does not look Koto.  From what I can see the boshi appears to be in suguha and with this hamon if it were Koto one might expect the hamon to continue into the boshi.  One would not expect to see the features associated with several polishes in a Shinshinto blade, nor the features of the boshi,  and the optimum time for Shinto ko wakizashi is early Shinto.  Allowing for a little narrowing of the blade as a result of polishes then the original sugata would have been a little fuller as would the boshi.  

Given that all this is based on two, pardoning your photographic skills, rather limited photographs, and that I know nothing this would suggest an early Shinto ko wakizashi.  I take it that the hada is obscured, what can you see in the hamon?

Over to you.

All the best.

Dear Geraint,

Many thanks. I am new and this is very helpful. I think the nakago is ubu but a chop-down would have to be fairly obvious for me to recognize it. Here are some additional photos. BTW - taking a good photo of these blades is a lesson in humiliation! I hope these help. I don’t think the blade is anything special but the hada and hamon seem OK to my untrained eye. My photos do not do a great job of showing this. Thanks again for your help!

Best regards,

Harry

6993C0AC-ED67-48F4-8BB5-F779035B0A7B.jpeg

E6052E1E-2485-4012-B651-B5F2C2830D9D.jpeg

D22A4783-95D3-48A1-8005-F6F3C3935707.jpeg

07EA3B4A-1740-4EC7-85B8-06894F47924F.jpeg

61C3A0EC-4922-47CF-8A1D-A6720CF83B30.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hi Matt,

If it is Shinto then it is older than I expected. :) I really don’t know what to think of it. I bought it on faith (no papers) and the seller did not provide any details. It came at a price low enough to seem suspect, but the hamon and hada seem OK and I could not see any fatal kizu. However, I would be surprised if I am not missing something - and probably something obvious!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..