Echizen no Kami Sukehiro katana for sale

Brano

I got an offer to buy a great koto blade so I have to say goodbye to the best piece in my collection

Tsuda Echizen-no-kami SUKEHIRO 津田越前守助広.
He was born in Kanei 14 (1637), Uchide town, Settsu domain, real name Jin'nosuke
甚之丞. He learned from the 1st gen. Soboro SUKEHIRO そぼろ助廣 to realize his ambition to be a swordsmith to obtain Echizen-no-kami 越前守 title in Meireki 3 (1657).
He achieved success and won fame and in Kanbun 7 (1667), Aoyama Inabanokami Munetoshi
青山因幡守宗俊 (Karo top-ranking samurai officials) of Osaka castle employed him as a retainer with a 10 fuchi salary.

At the age of 31st to 38th years old - from the eighth month of Kanbun seven (1667) onwards - he executed the dated signature of the ura side in grass script and applied a keshō to his yasurime and after 38 years old - from the second month of Enpō two (延宝, 1674), he executed the signatures of both sides in grass script

His general workmanship transformed from Choji-midare of smaller clove in his early years then roundish gunome or gentle wave Suguha and surging waves of Toran-ba in his later age.
He was a dominant smith in his time, has been highly prized as the most superior swordsmith to have a great impact on all swordsmiths in later ages.

Died young in Ten'na 2 (1682), was 46 years old.

The exceptional position of this swordsmith sufficiently confirms its ranking

Fujishiro: Sai-jo saku

Hawley: 100

Toko Taikan: 25 mil Yen

Yamada Asaemon, who was the official sword cutting ability examiner and executioner of the Tokugawa shogunate, published a book "Kaiho Kenjaku" (懐宝剣尺) in 1797 in which he ranked the cutting ability of swords. The book lists 228 swordsmiths, whose forged swords are called "Wazamono" (業物)

Tsuda Echizen Sukehiro received the second highest award Ó-wazamono (excellent) which only confirms his exceptional skills

This sword is in the unique style of Naginata-naoshi Katana

Despite much effort, I was unable to find a second blade from Sukehiro 2nd in this unique style

Wide and thick, impressive shape from which radiates strength and respect

Mei: Echizen no Kami Sukehiro

Nagasa: 74.5 cm

Sori: 1.8 cm

Motohaba: 3.2 cm

Sakihaba: 2.1 cm

Kissaki: 3,3 cm

Motokasane: 7.5 mm

Nakago: Ubu, 2 mekugi-ana, zaimei

Habaki: single silver

with high quality shirasaya

NBTHK: Tokubetsu Hozon

Kitae is well grained ko-itame with ji-nie. Beautiful texture representing Osaka jigane

Hamon is nie deki gunome midare toranba style continue from the hamachi to the Kissaki area

The nakago bears the five character signature of Echizen no Kami Sukehiro, which was in use around Kanbun 6 ( 1666 ), the last year before taking up work at the Osaka castle.

This sword is one of the first Works that he made in establishing his Toranba style and together with the unique shape represents an exceptional opportunity to own a blade from one of the best Shinto swordsmiths

32.000 EUR + PP fee or SEPA payment

incl. shipping cost within EU

Photos at Hi-Res are available here

https://www.zonerama.com/Nihonto/Album/6268825

Sugata.jpg

19262-2.jpg

19262-3.jpg

19262paper-1.jpg

D75_3794PS.jpg

D75_3797PS.jpg

D75_3798PS.jpg

D75_3818PS.jpg

D75_3825PS.jpg

D75_3834PS.jpg

DSC_7313_.jpg

DSC_7610PS.jpg

DSC_7326PS.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 8

If youre saying goodbye to this beauty, then please post the photos of whatever piece you purchase! Absolutely amazing sword here. I LOVE the naginata naoshi style and wish I was anywhere close to being able to purchase this. 

Best wishes on the sale. Someone’s going to be a lucky new owner!!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I recently sent the blade for new polish to Mr.Massimo Rossi, because the original polish was unsuitable for me
In order to improve sales
Today the blade came back to me and I must say that I thank the providence that the blade did not sell
I end the sale and the blade remains part of my collection
When I find the time and take new photos, I will publish what a sensitive and professional approach of a professional togishi can do
This way too - Grazie mille Massimo 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..