Field Grade Officers Sword

Butch

With a set like that, Gareth, a guy could comfortably retire from collecting.  Wow, how beautiful!

@Kiipu - I see the point of your question of the 2 ana.  This blade seems to have been made with the Rinji Seishiki fittings in mind.  With a 1939 date, it would have been going into the earliest of productions for the version.  I wonder if the owner changed his mind, or maybe the manufacturers had not gotten the production going in time and the owner opted for the standard Type 98?  Of course, another idea is that after seeing the original 'standard' RS, the owner decided it wasn't as high quality as he had desired for his custom blade?  I don't think the high-quality styled RS fittings really showed up until later in the war. 

50 minutes ago, Bruno said:

Yes one and only one Ishido Teruhide in Tokyo and in whole Japan as a Showa era swordsmith. I don't even understand the "infamous Ishido Teruhide":dunno:

Just mentioning it, since that is the one that usually everyone is talking about when the name Ishido Teruhide is mentioned in showa/gendaito context.

And since Gareth said 'Ishido Minamoto TeruHide' I thought I would bring it up. Not sure if that is what the Mei says.

So this cannot be trusted?

NOTE: There were two other swordsmiths using the name Teruhide working during the Showa period who made blades in the traditional (gendaito) manner. They were brothers, both signing Teruhide or Minamoto (Ihara) Teruhide. They were from Saitama prefecture north of Tokyo and are of no known relation to Ishido Teruhide.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Mei is like D in the index...looks same guy to me.

David,

The other two Teruhide smiths from Saitama never signed "Ishido" Teruhide so no, it can't be anyone but Ishido Teruhide from Tokyo.;-)

They were all 3 good smiths but often mixed up. :)

WOW YOU are a  very lucky person. And like Bruce said if you used these two swords as your whole Japanese Sword Collection you would be one of the lucky ones. As hopefully the new caretaker You have been handed a great task to care for these two swords as well as the former caretaker. Good luck and thank you so much for sharing. If you are looking to adopt a great son that would love to own these two swords I am available.    MikeR

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

ask Dr. Stine about Ishido Teruhide, he own a few and reports them very well made, not sure why the Bruno wants to belittle him.

On the contrary Stephen, I think he is a great smith. It is another member who wrote he was not good, not me!

3 hours ago, Bruno said:

David,

The other two Teruhide smiths from Saitama never signed "Ishido" Teruhide so no, it can't be anyone but Ishido Teruhide from Tokyo.;-)

They were all 3 good smiths but often mixed up. :)

Thank you for explaining Bruno!

1 hour ago, Bruno said:

On the contrary Stephen, I think he is a great smith. It is another member who wrote he was not good, not me!

haha I think it is a translation error/mistake :) In my language 'infamous' can also be used in a good and positive way, which I meant. I even have a blade by Ishido Teruhide myself that I greatly enjoy :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..