Field Grade Officers Sword

Butch

My first post on this forum

A excellent condition Officers Shin Gunto Gendaito blade Katana made by Ishido Minamoto Teru Hide in March 1939.

The sword has been in a long standing collection for about 50 years until the recent custodian passed away.

The sword fittings are in fantastic condition and the days as the brown fish skin covering it also came with a brown mint leather handle cover.

The last custodian always called it the Colonels sword but unfortunately there is no paper work to back this up.

GarethD8BFB27C-8124-4E80-87D1-D1C1C0B8AB8B.thumb.jpeg.a39ce60dcf7353a133c9b25ef8f90e0b.jpeg1728F5C7-B08E-4BA3-AC89-794F21E4D767.thumb.jpeg.324d301a9c3f559a952769d83e7b12f6.jpegD8E2E498-CE38-40E6-9EBE-C703BB878F6D.thumb.jpeg.88d0abfd0804c16df538b70f36bf07ef.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Butch said:

The last custodian always called it the Colonels sword but unfortunately there is no paper work to back this up.

Welcome aboard Gareth!  I think the sword's name came via the color of the tassel.

I see a second tang hole at the bottom so I would like to endorse Trystan's request for a full tang picture.

Hello Gareth,

Very nice sword and a nice find ,well done....I have a similar shin gunto with fish skin saya and custom fittings including a bronze tsuba that looks very similar to the one on your sword....

Regards,

Paul...

Very nice, shame any history with it has been lost. The tassel is in beautiful condition, along with the rest of the sword. These special Koshirae would've been expensive at the time for an army sword. I wonder how different the cost would've been between this sword and the same Kai Gunto with Samegawa saya?

• Like 1

東都住人石堂是一十代孫藤原輝秀精鍛造之 

「石堂是一は長運斎綱俊の甥で、初め綱俊について鍛刀の技を学び、後に石堂家の七代目を継いで是一と称しました。作風は大別して備前伝と相州伝の二様がありますが、やはり彼の本領は石堂派の御家芸ともいえる備前伝であり、傑作も多く残されています。

• Like 4

2 hours ago, m4l700 said:

Very nice sword Gareth! You can be proud to possess this work :)

Keep in mind, this smith has nothing to do with the infamous Ishido Teruhide, they are not related. http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/teruhide.htm

There was only 1 Ishido Teruhide in Tokyo. Most Ishido Teruhide blades we see are kind of mass produced for the army, not custom made, without a date. This particular ishido Teruhide in the above photos looks like a rare long Ishido Teruhide signature. Probably a custom made to order blade.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..