Sticking to tsuba

Spartancrest

Being a tsuba nerd I have 'accumulated' a variety of tsuba related 'stuff' that are not actually tsuba. Included in the pile I have some tsuba pins or badges, these are related to Kendo clubs or tournament medals. I was wondering what other collectors might have come across.

The image is of some tsuba based badges I have found over time. [most are not mine]

kendo badges collection.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Dale,

I have a kind of commemorative medal shaped as a Yagyu tsuba. It is large - almost 9 cm:

IMG_20210929_231635.thumb.jpg.b8eb531ca8cadb4a7618338a5a792c73.jpg

It is a commemorative for the 30th Hiroshima City's Youth Kendo Tournament.

Thanks to the community I identified it :) - https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/6309-i-need-help-in-translation/

• Thanks 1

Andrey  I have two or three like that, different patterns. I wonder if yours is powder coated? At least one of mine is, which would point to very modern manufacture.

image.thumb.png.ac89cf76eb72e33b5d34cba1ec3e1597.png

Barry that is a nifty little item, I see Jean Collin made something similar but I like the folding aspect of yours.

I have an image of another strange use for a tsuba shaped object.

locket tsuba.jpg

• Like 1

Dale,

Not sure if it's powder coated, but it's definetly very modern. Your example is very similar: the color, and the surface texture.  And it's made for Hiroshima Lions Club too. 

Mine is 30th Hiroshima Youth Kendo Tournament, yours - 22nd :) 

Another one "tsuba object" - cufflinks, found on a fleemarket in Tokyo:

IMG_20211001_002221.thumb.jpg.441d5bf7a0a2ee98d38f9f8d79476803.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Andrey

Thank you for the information I will add that to my data base.

Wow I would even wear those [I might have to cut some holes in my shirt sleeves first- when did cufflinks go out of fashion?] They are a nice little object on their own.

I found these sites for 'modern' tsuba cufflinks https://www.modernsamuraistyle.com/

and the ever present ebay https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=324670356953&_ssn=goyokiki-Japan&_osacat=0&_odkw=tsuba&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=tsuba+cufflinks&_sacat=0

image.thumb.png.87f280d2ee83f731ca0170c48d65c949.png

image.thumb.png.301177e5a3ee73c09293954081b30285.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..