Some ideas on this hada?

Christian

Judging from hada alone this is something relatively modern, no earlier than shinto, and quite possibly much more recent.

There was a movement within shinshinto (Ikkansai and others), who experimented a lot with very high contrast hadas which they could heat treat only at very low temperatures, so you see almost no transition between hada and hamon, while the structure is quite vivid. 

• Like 1

Nice  little  late shinshinto tanto. Such hada  is not  uncommon  during this  time.

It is a pitty that the polish is in such terrible conditon. It seems that there is  intensive ji.nie.

Here is another example of such colour games, a little  bit  bigger pattern. ( Matsukawa style, but the blade is shinshinto )

By the way, there are no waves in the shinogiji, it is an light effect, still learning to photograph.

IMG_20210616_163428.thumb.jpg.ab36ea3ffd9c1ef556d2920d0133d96f.jpg

On 10/1/2021 at 10:16 PM, Nobody said:

Matsukawa-hada is also a characteristic of Kiyomitsu of Sue-Bizen.

13198388_1328843597132573_4771021714514836489_o.jpg

13217110_1328843610465905_1116874760597388461_o.jpg

Koichi, a question; when was the design on the blade done? Was it carved before or after the polishing and who would have done it - an artisan?

7 minutes ago, Sansei said:

Koichi, a question; when was the design on the blade done? Was it carved before or after the polishing and who would have done it - an artisan?

I do not know. But I believe that it was carved long before I was born.

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

I do not know. But I believe that it was carved long before I was born.

Koichi, actually my question was about the manufacturing process; that is, the process of making the blade itself. Not the names of the people or the historical facts. If a blade like this was to be made today, would the carving be done after the blade was polished or before?

On 9/29/2021 at 2:29 PM, Shugyosha said:

The dark lines delineating the wood-burl are chikei.

John, I believe they are often called chikei, but are the result of folding various sorts of steel. Real chikei are arrays of ji-nie and are a hallmark of quality. 

I guess, this is a question of nomenclature. However, when we call something chikei, we should not refer to what is an aspect of hada. For how should we then call those formations of ji-nie?

• Like 1

Hi Marius,

I think there may be something here that I'm overlooking then. 

I did not get the impression that in Christian's blade that there was more than one kind of steel involved as was sometimes the case in shinshinto blades - had this been the case then I would have expected it to be apparent towards the blade's mune as the dark lines stand out above the hamon.

I was, however, puzzled by how the dark lines stood out around the nioi guchi both in the ha and the ji. Are you saying then that those are not nie?

Hi together, thank you for the good replies. As I am also a collector of european swords I am fimilar wird layer pattern in steel, but the structure on this tanto seems to be different, thats why I am asking here.

I added another picture where one can see that these lines are harder areas that stand out from (some long time ago) polishing.

It could be something with different steels but I also have such blades like Sansei was showing and they look pretty different to me.

20211005_103918.thumb.jpg.c29ffe550ca523279ee63eeebf90528e.jpg

It is hada. Chikei must consist of nie. this is not the case. Beside this hada  ji-nie is visible on the blade. The  very smal black points. I do not  mean the pinholes. I do think that marius is right, that the other thing is simple hada tach. this can be the result of polishing or the combination of two  or more sorts of steel. If one polishes a sword with mixed steel to hard, than it will be to strong hada tach.

This  hada tach can raise problems in meaning of seeing  other fine hataraki like ji.nie in the light reflex. Therefore honami said once that  a blade  like  sadamune should  never been polished hada tach. 

Just some  random thoughts about hada tach.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..