like this tsuba?

jct3602

The bright brass was when the tsuba was angled towards sun; the dim was taken indoors.  Took more pictures, but my computer occasionally insists I have insufficient memory when I download pictures that i emailed to myself from my cellphone, and will not display them.   In any event, I like this one; it would really be nice if it is not just a later period copy of an onin tsuba, so commentary either way will be welcome.   7.7x7.6 cm, .33 cm thick rim and .25 cm thick in the seppadai.

John Twineham

20210921_144520.jpg

20210921_144447.jpg

20210921_144308.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Jean:

I looked up the same entry in the Varshavsky collection that you referenced; originally it was what gave me hope the piece is genuine.  Fortunately, as long as the piece pleases the collector, real or fake really only matters when their estate is being auctioned off after their demise, lol. 

Also have another tsuba that I got from the same seller on JAUCE that I like far better, but it will spark controversy, ridicule, appreciation, or some combination of the 3 on this board, so i am hesitant to present it.  If there is some way I can send you the pictures, I would appreciate your opinion of whether I have departed sanity or not (I am unfamiliar with the mechanics on the board to send single person communications).   It does have the best patina of any piece I have acquired or held in hand; truly wet like the surface of a glistening black pond when well lit.   Interesting how patina looks like under 20x magnification; what looks black is a light absorbing black brown rust, and the look of wetness is from tiny specks of reflective iron/steel peeking through the rust, like nie on a blade.

Once again, thank you!

John Twineham

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

John I think it is in pretty good condition for what 400 or 500 years? I think the nibbled edges and the minimal ten-zogan loss, as well as possible late replacement of same make it a historic piece. There is a little, off-line inlay, but it was made for war at a time of war so there may have been time constraints.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..