habaki reading

Ian B3HR2UH

I would be grateful for any opinions on the characters on this habaki .

The date side I am confident reads Meiji four ( 1871 )(year ? ) Kanotohitsuji hachi gatsu .

The other side I am less sure about . I think the right hand column reads Giri Ko , which possibly means a Lords debt of gratitude.

The left hand column I am even less sure about but think it reads Kore shitama , which possibly means this permits to commit suicide .

Ian Brooks

IMG_20210612_195448~2.jpg

IMG_20210612_195502 (2).jpg

• Like 3

My wild guess: "Received from my father-in-law".

I can't get that second to last kanji - which I think is causing both of us to fish for possibilities.

The kanji on the other side is indeed year (秊). It just came up in a Tanobe sayagaki a couple of weeks ago.

It's a favorite of his. Interesting to see it in another context.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve much appreciated . Interestingly there is an habaki with the same gift inscription illustrated in one of Shibata's handbooks . The blade was originally very long but is now  suriage and the horimono is now on the nakago. You will enjoy seeing it when you get down here John . A gunto handle but with a hamidashi tsuba on it . All original as I got it off a vet who bought it back from Balikpapan .

Ian

• Like 3

Dear Mr. Morita , 

Thank you for your opinion it is greatly appreciated by me .

Would an English translation be along the lines of " This was given at the wish of Lord Yoshisato ( or Lord Yoshitada )" ? 

or "Gift of Lord Yoshitada"  .

Your contributions to the board are invaluable and it would be a much poorer place without you.

Ian Brooks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, I met my old friend and his wife. His wife is a calligrapher, so I asked her if she could read the characters on the habaki, especially the 5th character which I was still unsure. Though she was not 100 % sure, her guess was (rei/hagemashi).

In that case the reading might be

義理公之– Yoshisato/Yoshitada ko no hagemashi o tamawaru.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..