Am I missing something??

Hey guys,

Just finished attending the Jackson auction moments ago (for just the Japanese swords) and mostly sitting in and listening. I was astounded that this blade went for $17,000! Am I missing something here? I did not detect anything particularly remarkable. Is this an unknown jewel or just a case of a 'fool and their money' ?? The nakago is especially bad and it looks like a real dog of a blade.

Its staggering is what it is!

The rest of the blades went for middling amounts between 800-2000, with the cormorant's neck shape blade going for $2400. Saw a gendaito go for $1300.

301_6_lg.jpg

301_7_lg.jpg

301_5_lg.jpg

301_4_lg.jpg

301_3_lg.jpg

301_2_lg.jpg

301_1_lg.jpg

301_8_lg.jpg

301_9_lg.jpg

301_10_lg.jpg

301_11_lg.jpg

301_12_lg.jpg

• Confused 1

OMG!!!  I was just going to post this!!!  :o  I just don’t get it but am willing to be educated.  Can someone even GUESS at what they THOUGHT they saw?????

I was kinda interested in the cormorant neck blade, but at $2400 + $720 (30% buyer premium) + $50 shipping (WAG)… is it really an almost $3200 blade? (considering mounts are :freak:).

Holy cow! Thanks for saving me some time on the cormorant’s neck price. I had bid $550 beforehand but was going back on forth on going a little higher. Nice to know I was always going to lose (at $3k you could get something much nicer - papered, fittings etc).

That sugata seems difficult to find; hardly any hits on the forum here. I think they’re beautiful though!

44 minutes ago, MichaelSeeley said:

(at $3k you could get something much nicer - papered, fittings etc).

That sugata seems difficult to find; hardly any hits on the forum here. I think they’re beautiful though!

I agree… basically a bare, out of polish, mumei blade of ??? provenance.  I’ll make up some numbers (please excuse my ignorance at actual prices):

$3200 blade

$2000 polish

$500 shirasaya 

$400 habaki (don’t know if existing one could be used/saved?

$300 state-side shinsa 

Any chance this ends up being worth $6400???

OTOH… I would be interested in learning more about it though.  Not sure if this style was popular with any specific school / time period?  I’m guessing Edo?  A unique shape.

Did anybody get any additiomnal images? I was not participating but had reqauested some for this Wakizashi since it stated that there were numerous flaws:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/111347283_a-Japanese-signed-koto-period-sword

Not sure but the Tadayoshi looked the most interesting to me. I have to few Oshigata especially for the 9th generation. Would have liked to hear Roger Robertshaws oppinion on it.

3 hours ago, NihontoCollector said:

Not sure but the Tadayoshi looked the most interesting to me. I have to few Oshigata especially for the 9th generation. Would have liked to hear Roger Robertshaws oppinion on it.

I spent a long time looking at oshigatas and noticed numerous kanji that were way off. I am absolutely no expert, but I thought it was gimei and steered clear.

The $17k is just bonkers to me. You’re approaching Juyo prices at that high!!! I wonder if it’s two people with sentimentality attached to it. Maybe two people who each thought they would inherit it from the gentleman whose estate it was in and they didn’t inherit, so they bid against each other. Unless we’re all bamboozled, it’s got to be something like that.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..