Help with identifying

Zjax

Howdie everyone,

Thank you for taking a look. So the story to go along with how my family acquired this sword is my great grandfather's brother was a medic in WW2. He arrived on the beaches of Okinawa and discovered a Japanese Officer who was dying of his injuries. He attempted to help but the Officer was to gravely injured and gave him this sword before he died.

Any assistance on where it may of come from is greatly appreciated.  Unfortunately the sword isn't coming to me via wills, but I still wanted to try and find some relative to return it to and talk the current owner into returning the sword.

20210829_203003.jpg

20210829_202608.jpg

20210829_202903.jpg

20210829_202824.jpg

20210829_202810.jpg

20210829_202720.jpg

20210829_202627.jpg

20210829_202608.jpg

20210829_202556.jpg

20210829_203144.jpg

20210829_203337.jpg

• Like 1

There is zero chance of ever finding who owned it or returning it. Just make sure your family takes care of it. Potentially a good sword. Fittings are good too. Someone will advise you how to remove the tsuka and see if there's a signature.
As for the story of how it was acquired, I suspect the story changed over time, no offense. This is not the sort of sword anyone in WW2 would have been carrying in battle in those fittings. Maybe acquired after the war or in Japan. It's a nice sword and better than most wartime ones would have been.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Tap this peg (mekugi) out from the other side and the handle (tsuka) and metal fittings slide off the tang (nakago).  If they are tight, light tapping with a rubber mallet on the handguard (tsuba) or with a wooden block will loosen everything up.  No harm will come to your sword by doing this.

peg removal.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your replies. Ill get with my uncle and see about finding a signature or makers mark. It might be a bit as we are in different states. (I was recently visiting when I took the photos)

Additionally, I agree with Brian. It seemed to decorative and clean to be used in battle, (or in the field) but my knowledge is very minimal at best so i couldn't exactly refute it.  My best guess would be it was acquired around that time and the person who got it came up with that story to make it sound more interesting.  

Mr. Doffin, thank you for that link.  The sword is going to a different uncle then his son. Ill make sure they have this info. 

Ill call my uncle and see if he is willing to remove the peg that Bruce pointed out and give an update. 

• Like 1

The three circular crests on the small knife (kozuka) slipped in the side of the scabbard (saya) are the Aoi Mon which is the symbol for the Tokugawa family. I wouldn't read too deeply into this though - Kozuka are often lost or replaced so it may be modern replica but still a fun tidbit of information.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..