28 1/4" / 71.8cm Blade by NORIMITSU dated 1529 in Shin-Gunto Fittings

tbonesullivan

Well, this wasn't really what I was expecting when I got this sword, but the guy who buys things (not me) picked it up and they did say it was dated 1529, and it looks like it reads the following:

MEI: 備 州 長 船 則 光 - BISHU OSAFUNE NORIMITSU

NENGO: 享 禄 二 年 八 月 日 - Kyōroku 2 (1529) 8th Month (August) Day

Not sure why the "day" kanji is there, but I've seen other blades from the same era that have it.  Hamon looks to be HAKO MIDARE, which I tried to get a picture of.

The NAKAGO looks original, and I've seen some others that have that wider style, again from that era.

Fittings are pretty typical Shin-Gunto, probably Type 94. Forgot to take a picture.

max215sugata.jpg

max215hamon.jpg

max215mei.jpg

max215nengo.jpg

3 minutes ago, Toryu2020 said:

Nice find - Hachigatsu hi or a day in August is not uncommon at all...

Thanks for the info! Usually I'd see "lucky day", though most of the WWII nengo don't have any dates listed. It's a fairly nice sword. I'd love to be able to have it polished and papered, but everything is so backlogged now.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..