Possible repaint on NCO?

Corry

All,

My two NCO swords. Once concern I have is a slight shad difference in the sayas (difference in manufacterers or repaint). Also, the steel tsuba one draws out smooth as butter. The brass hilted one has a bit of a bump when un/resheathing. (perhaps due to the dent in the saya?" Didn't get pics of the SN on the saya, but hey are all matching. What are your thoughts on the shade difference and the draw?

Regards,

Corry1382427466_thumbnail_20210921_033023(1).thumb.jpg.4d0ed201870ecd836574919355783093.jpg

thumbnail_20210921_014726.jpg

thumbnail_20210921_022028.jpg

thumbnail_20210921_032946 (1).jpg

thumbnail_20210921_033059.jpg

thumbnail_20210921_033104.jpg

thumbnail_20210921_033146.jpg

thumbnail_20210921_033216.jpg

thumbnail_20210921_034348.jpg

• Like 1

Durrell, (I just realized I called you 'Corry' on your other thread!  Are you a man with 2 first names?)

Can't picture what would cause a "bump" as you draw out the blade.  Even if your saya has a dent, the slide of the smooth blade across the dent would be uniform across the surface of a smooth blade. 

To your color question, there is quite a lot of variation in saya colors.  Just do a search for 'black painted saya' and 'red bean color saya' and you'll start seeing many colors.  Steve @Shamsy (or @Stegel? or both) have white-painted saya.  Is that the only reason you were thinking it needed re-paint?  Or are you simply bothered by the wear marks?

I don't recommend it.  I went through that myself when I stripped a 95 that had been totally painted gold, even the blade was painted.  After stripping, there was no original paint underneath.  Bubba had totally stripped the gunto before painting gold.  The problem is there is no after-market paint that properly matches the Japanese Army sword green.  I found a guy who pointed me to some spray paint for their army helmets, but it turned out too green.  I had to blend some brown spray with the helmet spray to approximate the sword green.  It's closer, but obvious when seeing among other 95s.  Plus, it all looks too new.  Still way better than the all-gold it came in, but your original paint is way better than my re-painted gunto.

image3(1).JPG

image3.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Durrell, (I just realized I called you 'Corry' on your other thread!  Are you a man with 2 first names?)

Can't picture what would cause a "bump" as you draw out the blade.  Even if your saya has a dent, the slide of the smooth blade across the dent would be uniform across the surface of a smooth blade. 

To your color question, there is quite a lot of variation in saya colors.  Just do a search for 'black painted saya' and 'red bean color saya' and you'll start seeing many colors.  Steve @Shamsy (or @Stegel? or both) have white-painted saya.  Is that the only reason you were thinking it needed re-paint?  Or are you simply bothered by the wear marks?

I don't recommend it.  I went through that myself when I stripped a 95 that had been totally painted gold, even the blade was painted.  After stripping, there was no original paint underneath.  Bubba had totally stripped the gunto before painting gold.  The problem is there is no after-market paint that properly matches the Japanese Army sword green.  I found a guy who pointed me to some spray paint for their army helmets, but it turned out too green.  I had to blend some brown spray with the helmet spray to approximate the sword green.  It's closer, but obvious when seeing among other 95s.  Plus, it all looks too new.  Still way better than the all-gold it came in, but your original paint is way better than my re-painted gunto.

Haha, happens all the time. My first name is Durrell, but Corry is fine as well.

11 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

image3(1).JPG

image3.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG

The Habaki is bumping into the top of the Saya.

thumbnail_20210921_163642.jpg

thumbnail_20210921_163707.jpg

thumbnail_20210921_163818.jpg

2 hours ago, robinalexander said:

Hello Corry, 

My opinion....PLEASE do not attempt any repaint of saya. They are both ok as they are. There are lots of minor colour variations in 95 saya's and yours are no exception. Nice examples.

Good retention of paint on the handles by the way.

Rob

Haha! Rob, no worries. I wasn't considering a repaint. It's just that the shades on the sayas were a bit different and was wondering if it was just normal wartime variation or it had been repainted.

Cheers!

Corry

• Thanks 1

Tks Corry, apologies an 'old moment' I think.  When I saw your heading Possible repaint on NCO? and then started to read post and look at pics I got the (incorrect) impression you thought the paint job may be bodgey and u were considering 'making it right' ...my misread...all good.

Rob

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

image3(1).JPG

image3.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG

Bruce, no I was not considering a repaint, just wondering if it had been repainted. THX!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Saya colour is great, there are a huge range of shade of brown and green. The patina is what tells you if it is a repaint.

On a side note, I have a copper that has three distinct layers of greens in the little paint that remains. I assume arsenal refurbishment is always a possibility. 

As to the habaki, that happens. I have a couple of swords that are similarly a less than ideal fit. Not a lot to be done I'm afraid.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..