Type 95 NCO sword - sold for how much???

Kolekt-To

I saw many Type 95 show up on eBay and another auction site recently, most of them the listing price on the high side,  the market will tell what are they really worth. I think it's not going to be a big jump on price for the regular /so so condition ones because that minty 95 sold for the high dollars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Every collector is holding onto them thinking they will get to 2000usd, who in their right mind is going pay that? Especially when they know these were likely bought for pennies on the dollar 10-15 years ago. Unless they are in absolute mint condition, have provenance or a particularly rare example it is baffling they are commanding more than a good Type 98.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

John,

I agree, but if Japan ever makes these legal to own the price will go way up. Younger Japanese don't seem to feel the same stigma as the older ones. This is true of younger Germans and Europeans as well (on WW2 German items), but still taboo. From my experience the vast majority are not Nazi's. To them it's just history. There is a BIG difference between having a private collection (and not being a nazi) and marching down the street with a nazi flag. JMHO

Regards,

Corry

• Like 3

They are legal to own in Japan if they have registration papers, however these are few and far between and command ludicrous sums. It is the same with Koa Isshin Mantetsu, a simple matter of supply and demand. Over here there is nothing inhibiting the supply except greed for some things. Perhaps parallels can be made with Wehrmacht items made in their hundreds of thousands/millions that every collector is claiming are " extremely rare" when they probably have 40 stashed away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This guy has alot of ncos and im interested in this one thats been wartime struck just from the historical view that its probably been in some pretty heavy fighting, your thoughts, looks correct and bonus scruffy sword

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/ww2-Japanese-army-ncos-type-95-sword-with-matchin-c-31F4C4E950

"Battle damage" and "wartime use" flaws add nothing to a sword or value. This is not a sentimental or emotional field of collecting. Buy the item, not a story or fanciful imagery.
A scruffy sword or a damage one is just a lesser sought after item of war. That's my personal opinion, use it or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Pippo said:

Blade looks good, numbers match and  i appreciate the strike, just saw the link saying there was a lack of ncos for sale and theres a bunch on invaluable though most are less than perfect

But the blade doesn't look good. The description even states that it is pitted. I would save funds for a better example. Also, that auction house is going to most likely add their "Buyer's Premium", plus you will have tax and shipping to pay - all will drive up the cost and possibly add another $300-$500 AUD to the price you will pay for the sword. Think about it.

1 hour ago, ribendao said:

Was just watching a Showa22 Ebay listing for a brass tsuba type 95 in average condition. Ended up selling for $893 befor shipping and fees. Not sure if this is a good sign of where the market is for them or not.

Be cautious in buying from Show22 - not the best reputation. Read the posts on this board. Just trying to save you from making potentially costly mistakes. And, the tsuba you mentioned is probably over-priced.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Kolekt-To said:

Be cautious in buying from Show22 - not the best reputation. Read the posts on this board. Just trying to save you from making potentially costly mistakes. And, the tsuba you mentioned is probably over-priced.

Thanks, I am aware of his reputation. I wan't planning on buying. Just looking at his auction for the type 95 trying to get an idea of what average condition was selling for.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ribendao said:

Thanks, I am aware of his reputation. I wan't planning on buying. Just looking at his auction for the type 95 trying to get an idea of what average condition was selling for.

The brass tsuba type 95 in average condition would sell for 700-900 no problem ,better condition of the blade and paint should go over 1K and more.Keep that in mind,same condition Iron tsuba is cheaper tha brass tsuba.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

Every collector is holding onto them thinking they will get to 2000usd, who in their right mind is going pay that? Especially when they know these were likely bought for pennies on the dollar 10-15 years ago. Unless they are in absolute mint condition, have provenance or a particularly rare example it is baffling they are commanding more than a good Type 98.

Agree!Only the MINTY ones sell price go up a lot more.

On 9/22/2021 at 6:13 AM, dwmc said:

I'm a bit along the same line as Mr. Ian Brooks. Many of the younger members here are of the era of $500 or $600 Type 95 swords, or what the prices are now at present. As long as I can remember, I've had an interest in Japanese swords, and would always take a look at any that I may happen to see at antique stores, Pawn Shops, Flea Markets, Etc.. For some reason however, I could never generate enough interest in the Type 95 to purchase one, even when the prices 40+ years ago were $50 or so. Although, I was tempted once to buy a copper handled one for $125, but quite foolishly didn't...

Finally, after all these years, I entered a small antiques shop and found the 95 pictured below, and knew I wasn't going to leave without it, although it was considerably more than $50...

Dave M.

20210219_133336.jpg

20210219_133428 (2).jpg

Very nice!!!  Sorry, I violated the quote rule. You picked that up for $50??? When? oH, now I see, "Considerably more than $50." Makes sense. Easily $1000, but not up on current prices. You saw that other one that went for $2700 amd yours is nice and min ty, so maybe much more! Cheers!

Some interesting comments, so i thought i'd add to the mix.

I believe the current market value for these is $750 to $1300, obviously the minty ones are at the higher end. This is from actual Auctions if you consider fleabay only.

The ones in this range seem to be moving, there are sellers who shoot over the mark but have the 'make an offer' option, these take a little longer, sometimes even months, but eventually sell to an agreed offer.

Lastly there are the dreamers, they shoot at the stars when aiming for the moon. It is like they have been hit with a high greed factor and will not budge, others tend to join in also asking some ridiculous prices. Just like Real Estate agents, these sellers are the ones who are 'artificially' driving the prices up.  These tend to remain unsold for many months if not nearly years

Don't get me wrong, pristine/unique examples will always command a higher price due to demand, so you get some selling at higher than normal prices.

Currently, there are some average swords being offered at (what i consider to be), very high 'fixed' prices.

On the same note, some very nice pieces are going to auction at low starts and reasonable finish prices.

If i was looking to buy, these are the ones i would be looking at.

Don't forget that there are other sources to get these from, Fleabay is not your only option.

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

I somewhat expect that the amount of new information, the growing scarcity, the inflation of anything that is a store of wealth, the new trend for dedicated 95 collectors have all eaten up supply and increased prices. I don't see them ever going down again. They are the easiest military Japanese swords to collect. From a price point, from a knowledge point and from the fact that you can complete a set within a couple of hard years of looking. That is all why I collect them, amongst other reasons.

• Like 5

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..