Sword molesting done right

A Japanese swordmaker tests one of his blades with little concern for its wellbeing in the name of learning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTskoJTvvQc

I believe they tried to somewhat recreate sword testing from the Edo period. I knew the sword would not survive but being familiar with some of those materials color me impressed how it performed.

• Thanks 1

Yes, thanks Omar.  Extraordinarily interesting, I thought.  I was amazed that the hagire didn't happen until the sword was seriously bent.  And the "like vinyl" wrinkles in the steel surface we know as mukade shinai.  I was surprised the katana kaji didn't know this?

BaZZa.

Edited by Bazza
spelling edit
  • Like 1

Yup, Steve the more detailed thread is here: 

In general, we have a lot of newcomers to this forum over the last couple of years, and a lot of the old-timers have left.....So, content gets duplicated or the same questions get asked/answered etc etc. I suppose it is normal for any forum that things are repeated in cycles. In general, though, people should try to use the search function embedded in the forum a bit more....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..