Gassan Sadakatsu with Imperial ties

G'day Guys,

I have a database of 53 of his long blades that I have found on the net. His most common hada is ayasugi, followed by masame, followed by soshu in the ratio of 4:2:1. Then there is the odd example of other styles such as koitame.

Cheers,

Bryce

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bryce said:

G'day Guys,

I have a database of 53 of his long blades that I have found on the net. His most common hada is ayasugi, followed by masame, followed by soshu in the ratio of 4:2:1. Then there is the odd example of other styles such as koitame.

Cheers,

Bryce

Bryce,

I've noticed he didn't always sign the same side of the blade, and not all had kao.  For Example:

https://www.aoijapan.net/tanto-osaka-ju-gassan-sadakatsu-kinsaku-kao/

https://www.aoijapan.net/tanto-kotaishi-denka-omamorigatana-motte-yotetsusyowa-8nen-12gatsu-kichijitsu-gassan-sadakatsu-saku/  

Do you have any stats on those two differences?

With gratitude,

Dave

G'day Dave,

I have only looked at his long blades, not wakizashi or tanto. About 60% of his blades are signed katana-mei and 40% tachi-mei. It almost looks random, there is no pattern to it that I can see. I have only come across 4 examples without his kao. Two of these are star stamped. There are very few examples to look at, but in general they don't look as good as his blades with a kao.

Cheers,

Bryce

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..